Suunto Ambit GPS watch

30 watchers
Jan 2012
12:27pm, 24 Jan 2012
248 posts
  •  
Andy_B
Still looks pretty damn big but difficult to gauge against some of the garmins. I think my 405cx is pretty thick.
Jan 2012
9:17pm, 24 Jan 2012
51 posts
  •  
twelveone
Actually, looking at that image, it appears marginally thinner than his finger, and my garmin 110 is prob not that much smaller. Of course he might have giant fingers though...
Jan 2012
8:07am, 25 Jan 2012
97 posts
  •  
Beardy
They do look like sausage fingers
Mar 2012
8:42pm, 23 Mar 2012
75 posts
  •  
twelveone
Picked up one of these bad boys from Snow & Rock today. It is pretty big, but in a good, hard as nails way :)

Will be testing it out on Richmond Hill tomorrow.
Mar 2012
9:01pm, 23 Mar 2012
9,865 posts
  •  
controversial
here you have dcrainmaker review

dcrainmaker.com
Mar 2012
12:26pm, 24 Mar 2012
77 posts
  •  
twelveone
Been for run with it this morning. Well impressed. Now to think about writing a script to convert the watches xml file output to gpx so I can upload to fetch :)

movescount.com
Mar 2012
7:59am, 27 Mar 2012
121 posts
  •  
Beardy
Got mine. It's ace. Big and beautiful
Apr 2012
4:19pm, 13 Apr 2012
82 posts
  •  
twelveone
If anyone else has a new Suunto Ambit, or is thinking of getting one, I've found a quick and simple way of getting my logs onto Fetch:

Someone (not me :) ) has created a script to convert the ambit's xml log files to gpx format which you can upload to fetch. Get it here: code.google.com

You'll need to install python first from here: python.org

Then just run the command: python ambit2gpx.py c:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Suunto\Moveslink2\<filename>.xml, and it'll create a gpx file of the log and you're good to go! :)
Apr 2012
4:57pm, 13 Apr 2012
3,291 posts
  •  
Badger
How are you guys getting on with them? How's the accelerometer/GPS combo working out for instant pace?

It is very, very wrong that I am more tempted by it because I'd need to use python to get the numbers on to fetch, isn't it?
Apr 2012
5:14pm, 13 Apr 2012
83 posts
  •  
twelveone
All good so far Badger, instant pace is nice, feels very accurate and quick to change when I'm doing intervals and such. Battery life is pretty impressive - I've just got home from hols, and I'd forgotten to take the charging cable with me. Used it to log ~40 miles running (@1sec recording), 3 swims, and some messing around with the navigation function over the course of the week, got home, plugged it in, and it was still at 30%.

I'd say it's very very right :) I wish I had the patience to figure out how to script the conversion and auto-post to fetch in one hit, that would be too cool.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Want want want... :D

http://ultra168.com/2012/01/19/exclusive-new-suunto-ambit-gps-watch-and-win-...

To upload from your Suunto Ambit to fetcheveryone, you need the xml files which are stored locally on your computer each time you sync the watch, you don't need to export from movescount. Go to the fetch suunto upload page, and get the file from C: Users, *yourname*, AppData, Roaming, Suunto, Moveslink2 if your using windows 7 or if you're on XP, they're in C: Documents And Settings, *your name*, Application Data, Suunto, Moveslink2