Support thread for parents of teenagers

135 watchers
Mar 2021
12:17pm, 11 Mar 2021
21,166 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Soap dodgers or obsessive cleaners ... c9 is first category when not in school and second when she is
Mar 2021
12:21pm, 11 Mar 2021
7,694 posts
  •  
sallykate
Dipps I think daughter is like that too. She had me waking her at 6.30 this morning so that she'd have time for a hair wash before school.

I always need to wake her; she uses her phone as an alarm but manages to sleep through it.

She announced that she's going out after school today. Although she wasn't looking forward to going back I think it'll be good for her to reconnect with friends face to face.
Mar 2021
12:55pm, 11 Mar 2021
1,283 posts
  •  
poppyH
I went to the bathroom at midnight last night and heard crying, went to investigate and boy2 (13yo) was sobbing at his desk, trying to manage learning some lines for Drama. He has a stammer, and wasn't able to learn them because he kept tripping over words, but had got himself in such a state that he had to type his thoughts as was unable to speak to me, just couldn't get past any initial sounds.

I'm sure some of it was because he'd left it late, but I made him go to bed with a promise I'd email school before I went back to sleep. I tried to stress that if he reamins unable to do verbal assessments/performance it's up to the school to find a way round this for him.

Fortunately the school responded promptly and he went off to school knowing his support teacher would contact him during registration. I think he's hidden a lot of back to school anxiety and it all just came out last night, it's horrible seeing him unable to speak, I feel so helpless.

On a positive note, he was able to communicate via typing, and he had already emailed the teacher himself to tell her he couldn't do the work (as well as texting his best friend for advice), suggesting an easier passage to learn instead. The teacher has also left messages on both my phone and my husbands today reassuring us she'd talk with him.

Sorry that was a bit long. Re bathing: I try to shower early evening as there's never enough hot water after 2/3 boys have showered/bathed. Boy3 needs reminding to shower, but fortunately is not yet too smelly. Boy2 likes to wallow in the bath watching his phone. I have a certain fondness for the overwhelming odour of Lynx as they leave the house in the mornings!
Mar 2021
1:01pm, 11 Mar 2021
40,418 posts
  •  
DocM
Lingering Lynx will be an aroma of this era
Mar 2021
1:03pm, 11 Mar 2021
40,419 posts
  •  
DocM
Sorry to hear how tough it has been for your son poppy, but really good that he was looking for help himself and engaged with those who can help him. It's so good to hear if a school offering good support and of course you seem to be doing a great job too, have a hug ((()))
Mar 2021
1:14pm, 11 Mar 2021
21,646 posts
  •  
Meglet
Oh Poppy that’s so tough. I’m glad school are dealing with it well. As you know, my BF stammers and it’s got very much worse with lockdown and working from home, there’s a lack of face to face interaction and phone/video is much harder.
Mar 2021
1:22pm, 11 Mar 2021
1,285 posts
  •  
poppyH
Thanks Meg, and Doc.
His stammer has been a lot worse over the last few months but has bothered him less (or at least that's how it appears). He chats online playing xbox with friends every day but they're all very familiar with his speech, and online learning in a way has been less stressful for him.
Mar 2021
1:23pm, 11 Mar 2021
52,113 posts
  •  
DrPhleecingD
That’s great that he asked for help and that school are being supportive. Well done both of them!
Ds2 is fine being back at school and glad to see his friends but is knackered already with an extra hour tacked to the end of the day to catch up on GCSE stuff. Thank god it’s not for too long
Mar 2021
1:25pm, 11 Mar 2021
1,286 posts
  •  
poppyH
As a GP telephone consultation is much more tricky because you're relying almost solely on verbal content and I guess for BF the video stuff is similar- you miss a lot of the non verbal that would relax/reassure.
Mar 2021
2:41pm, 11 Mar 2021
21,649 posts
  •  
Meglet
I don’t know enough about it, but I imagine there’s a bit of a vicious circle when it gets worse, so you get anxious about it, which makes it worse...
His perspective on the stammering programme last night on BBC1 was that some were coping better than others. Although they all sounded fairly fluent the young rapper especially was using a lot of avoidance.

I thought it was good for raising awareness but tended to show people who were coping well.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Thread was started by Trin, back when her kids were in their teens.

A place to vent, but also to share good news.