Support thread for parents of teenagers

135 watchers
Sep 2020
7:02am, 25 Sep 2020
32,531 posts
  •  
halfpint
I’m considering going down to Fort William and getting BnB in Oct so we can go out and do some walks together since he won’t be able to come home. He’d appreciate seeing the dog I think.
Sep 2020
7:25am, 25 Sep 2020
37,111 posts
  •  
DocM
I realised my son ( now 20... Not quite belonging on this thread) doesn't have a thermometer. I've asked him to get one so at least he can make an objective assessment of if he has a fever.
Sep 2020
7:33am, 25 Sep 2020
11,307 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Hp I think we're going to do something similar but in Edinburgh obvs. To think I thought we would be all back to normal by the tattie hols!
Sep 2020
7:34am, 25 Sep 2020
21,274 posts
  •  
Meglet
Thanks for reminding me about that, I thought of it the other week! I need to go and get her a mini medical cabinet.
Sep 2020
11:56am, 25 Sep 2020
19,929 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Hugs to all parents and teens moving out bighug

T1 had a wobble when she went back but coped marvellously and I didn't need to prolong my stay with her. However she was banking on keeping busy to not get horribly anxious and homesick but her cheerleading is now cancelled - no training, no socials - so she's quite glum. Academic work is thin this term. I hope the news from Scotland won't make her anxiety rocket (although I doubt Boris will restrict uni students from returning home tbh). Knowing she can come home whenever she wants is helping her cope.

T2 is 20 today. I have no more teenagers. Feeling a little bit ancient (and this isn't even the right thread any more!)
Sep 2020
2:04pm, 25 Sep 2020
1,584 posts
  •  
Lorraine
We have made the decision with D1 that if they banned students from going home we will go and get her. She has enough diagnosed mental health problems for us to argue with whoever we have to discuss it with. She struggled enough during lockdown at home.

D2 has declared she isn’t that bothered because she has a great house with good friends and they will be fine.

Hopefully Boris won’t go down that route.
Sep 2020
2:18pm, 25 Sep 2020
21,276 posts
  •  
Meglet
I can’t see that’s something they can enforce. I would risk a fine to fetch mine if I had to.
Sep 2020
2:47pm, 25 Sep 2020
32,541 posts
  •  
halfpint
I haven't even had the conversation with QP yet. I'm not sure if he will have registered that he can't come home for October.
Sep 2020
4:22pm, 25 Sep 2020
50,922 posts
  •  
Dr PhFleecyD
Sounds like a great plan to go there hp

Ds1 wasn’t going to come home because he’s only there for 8 weeks but I did say I’d come and see him about halfway through, he’s actually going to be home more than half the year since terms are so short! He’s talking about booby trapping his bedroom as ds2 has designs on it. I’m sure they’ll sort something out between them :)
Sep 2020
9:29am, 26 Sep 2020
53 posts
  •  
kaysdee
I know schools are doing their best and there aren’t many alternatives but my Y11 reported that she had a whole 7 minutes to eat on Thursday by the time she got into the lunch hall (they’re doing sittings by year group and hers is last). I think they are supposed to have 15 min slots. She does get a break leading up to being allowed in but not allowed to eat unless in the hall. Yesterday she had to leave food as didn’t finish by the bell.

My Y9 son is coming home upset each day (Asperger’s) that only 1/4 of students are wearing masks in the halls and 1/12 don’t cover their nose - not sure how he reached those figures 😆. He’s really annoyed that people don’t follow the rules (including not using the one way system). He wants to talk to his head of year and give him tips of where he should position staff to improve the situation. I’m trying to balance letting him get it out of his system against not going overboard. I’ve just had to advise him to put it in context with wider society and he can only control his own behaviour.

There are 4 positive cases in school, but so far they haven’t sent a year bubble home yet, just students most likely to have been in contact. I don’t understand that to be honest.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Thread was started by Trin, back when her kids were in their teens.

A place to vent, but also to share good news.