Support thread for parents of offspring in their 20’s

51 watchers
Nov 2019
9:26pm, 19 Nov 2019
42,184 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Blimey we don't post on here too often do we.

Youngest's burns are healed now BTW!
Nov 2019
9:28pm, 19 Nov 2019
42,185 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Also: eldest had a good time in Scotland. he and his friends watched the foreign tourists doing stupid selfie-ing on pinnacles etc and they kept clear.

And youngest had a great time travelling solo around Georgia.
Nov 2019
9:32pm, 19 Nov 2019
2,436 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
Number 2 son wanted 2 weeks on his own in Vietnam. I gently suggested a group tour for selfish reasons, being a dad. He investigated Busabout and went with a group of like-minded strangers of a similar age and had a whale of a time. (Not my place to review but all the optional excursions were a tad pricey albeit superb he said). He got back Sunday. He will now also replace his water-stained passport (as per my nagging before) as it was questioned at the airport as it would not scan, but they let him in anyway
Nov 2019
9:34pm, 19 Nov 2019
2,437 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
He went to Cambodia two years ago on a voluntary thing and it was only when he got back I realised he hadn't completed the next of kin page in the passport. Aaagh
Nov 2019
9:54pm, 19 Nov 2019
10,131 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Hello! Sounds like our 20+yo offspring are doing lots of cool things. My son has moved out, back to Aberdeen as he was hating the commute, (and it was chaos in the mornings). He has moved in with a flatmate from 1st year and others. He comes back home on Friday nights with his laundry and to do his part time job in the garden centre. He's applying for internships and studying for 3rd year exams so it's a tough term. He's also looking forward to voting in his first general election.
Nov 2019
10:43pm, 19 Nov 2019
18,024 posts
  •  
Carpathius
That's great to hear McG.

They're living life well, all our 20+ lot :)
Nov 2019
8:39am, 20 Nov 2019
14,324 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Twiglet has left her temping role - with my blessing as it was making her quite depressed. She is hoping for new temping work before she runs out of money, has applied for an admin job and is doing some online transcription work. So not sinking into a lethargy which is good!
Jan 2020
2:18pm, 13 Jan 2020
1,558 posts
  •  
Trin
Thank you for this thread winniefree!
Having started the other thread when mine were in their teens I would gladly have that time back in place of what I have now that they are in their 20's
Jan 2020
6:52pm, 13 Jan 2020
1,561 posts
  •  
Trin
I've just read the whole thread, lots of adventurous 20-somethings, which is great.
My story is a little different, as some of you know.

My eldest daughter (now 29) is transgender and stopped communicating with me in April 2018, despite my continued attempts with cards and letters. She has blocked me on WhatsApp and won't answer phone calls. I've visited her at her flat in The Barbican a couple of times but she won't answer the intercom or open the main door.
My other daughter (now 26) is held captive by a narcissist in the US and has no life of her own. I'm not allowed to spend any time with her, but I have access to my grandsons who we visit twice a year for about 3 weeks each time.
Both circumstances with my daughters breaks my heart on a daily basis and I just have to believe that one day something will change.
My son is 24 and has floundered for a few years but is now training to be an electrician, and is in a happy relationship. I wish I heard from him more but I have to give him his space. Having 'lost' my two daughters I feel like I want to speak to my son every day and see him as much as possible, but I don't want home to feel like I'm smothering him.

Like I said above, I'd have them all back as teenagers with all the teenage behaviour in a heartbeat and I'd hug them every day
Jan 2020
7:48pm, 13 Jan 2020
18,460 posts
  •  
Carpathius
:( Trin, I can't believe it's been six years since your daughter went to America.

About This Thread

Maintained by Winniefree
Because the issues don’t end when their teenage years do