Support thread for parents of offspring in their 20’s

51 watchers
Dec 2020
1:05pm, 1 Dec 2020
18,758 posts
  •  
Rosehip
It's horribly tough on our young people :( my daughter is in the same position as one of V'rap's - but her usual line of part-time work has dried up as have all her volunteering opportunities :( I'm collecting her (from where she's been living with her bf whilst he's doing his 2nd degree) on Friday, she'll stay for Christmas but how long she can stand being in the same house as her brothers I don't know.
Eldest is working in a role that involves being in hospitals almost daily, which I find worrying and he's getting tired of large amounts of driving as he covers for other engineers who've been self-isolating (AFAIK, none of his colleagues have caught Covid from work, which is reassuring)
Dec 2020
1:16pm, 1 Dec 2020
21,350 posts
  •  
Meglet
My oldest is 21. Having had the end of uni and all that entails destroyed by lockdown she landed herself a graduate job at a firm nearby. She’s now planning to move out in January to share with a friend who’s coming to Leeds to do a masters. She shel probably be living close to where I did as a student at the same age!
Dec 2020
6:05pm, 1 Dec 2020
11,610 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Good to hear everyone's updates, I agree, it's very tough for our 20-somethings. My 21yo is living at home with us instead of in a flat in Aberdeen because of covid restrictions. His entire course is online at the moment but he's hoping next semester to have some face to face because he's doing his final year dissertation in electrical & electronic engineering and has lab work to do. He's been struggling with the theory and lit search etc and wants to do what he's more confident in. At least he still has his part time job in the garden centre cafe, which he enjoys because it's the only time he sees anyone else apart from us. He's going to email Network Rail to see how likely it is that they are doing their internships next summer. After that he has the masters.

I'm not sure if his stressing is due to the pandemic situation or he'd be like that anyway doing his dissertation. He prefers exams to projects. He's done some exams, all online of course. Just to make things interesting he took Mandarin as his elective and I think that's been his favourite module this semester!
Dec 2020
8:58am, 2 Dec 2020
1,607 posts
  •  
Lorraine
My eldest is 21 and started university in September. She is very accepting of the rubbish first term but thankful most of her course is f2f until Friday. However her university is offering free COVID antibody tests to anyone that has been ill ( we think she had it back in March ) It’s part of the government study into COVID in university students under 25.

Testing being done today, she has to do it her self and results early next year.
Dec 2020
11:02am, 2 Dec 2020
21,356 posts
  •  
Meglet
That’s interesting, is that a Scottish initiative? I hadn’t heard of them antibody testing students.
Dec 2020
12:25pm, 2 Dec 2020
1,609 posts
  •  
Lorraine
Oxford Brooks
Dec 2020
7:31pm, 5 Dec 2020
20,268 posts
  •  
Carpathius
T1 just sent me the following text: