Support thread for parents of offspring in their 20’s

51 watchers
Mar 2020
9:32pm, 23 Mar 2020
10,394 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Hugs to you guys, it's such a tough situation.
Mar 2020
1:35pm, 25 Mar 2020
3,036 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Son 2 has just had a phone call to say that his traineeship is being terminated :(
In truth, can't blame the centre, they'll be in survival mode, and the trainee scheme isn't eligible to government support.
He will be able to re-apply when the centre reopens, though not guaranteed a place.
May 2020
7:50pm, 22 May 2020
1,671 posts
  •  
Winniefree
This is so hard. My eldest works as a residential care worker with young adults with autism. One of her residents has scratched her very badly today and she just wants to come home for a hug :-(
May 2020
8:24pm, 22 May 2020
10,635 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Sorry to hear that TR & Winniefree.
May 2020
8:47pm, 22 May 2020
36,854 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's tough WF
Dec 2020
12:22pm, 1 Dec 2020
4,701 posts
  •  
Big Al Widepants
So tough for those at studying at the moment. I only have one left at uni but it's medicine and the clinical experience is so different to what it should be. Not to mention the whole social side (or lack of it). My middle one is at advertising school in London and somehow they seem to have carried on with proper classes, tutorials and work experience. She did have one of those accommodation crises last week and had to move out of her shared flat. Place is owned by a friend whose daughter turns out to be massively controlling and bullying. My kid is no wallflower and maybe that's the problem but the selfish side of me considers it a victory that she took it on the chin for three months before involving us. All resolved now - our neighbours have a studio flat in London that they can't use so she's there until March. My eldest is in a job (miraculously) and since it's with the govt, there's virtually no chance she'll be fired. And we heard last night, she's got a boyfriend. Hurrah.
Dec 2020
12:36pm, 1 Dec 2020
36,671 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
Crikey, that's a whole lot of news Big Al. Glad that despite the bumps, things are going well for them. Will they be coming to Edi for Christmas?
Dec 2020
12:37pm, 1 Dec 2020
36,672 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
Sad for me that my (24 year old, with gf and nearly 2 year old son) won't be able to come to us for Christmas. Will be a while til we see them again in spring probably.
Dec 2020
12:49pm, 1 Dec 2020
20,173 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Good to see your name again, BAW.
Dec 2020
12:56pm, 1 Dec 2020
50,149 posts
  •  
Velocirappingpaper
Very tough for them. One of mine finished her first degree this year and was going to do a Masters but doesn't want to go to university online so she's taken a year out. Another is still an undergraduate, but she's 24, living with her boyfriend in a city she likes, and has a pharmacy assistant qualification that she's been able to use to get a part time job, so she's relatively protected.

About This Thread

Maintained by Winniefree
Because the issues don’t end when their teenage years do