Sundays weather and half marathon pace

1 watcher
Mar 2013
8:14pm, 21 Mar 2013
575 posts
  •  
mr d
I have been lucky with the weather in the four previous half marathons I have run.

Sunday looks like being rain free, but will be at or below zero with 15-16 mph winds, it's a relatively flat course and I was hoping for a pb, should I ease off my planned pace and take on more pre race fuel and layer up? I am thinking tights, shorts, gloves, short sleeve base layer and long sleeve top layer.

I am also coming off the end of a head cold and a tiring couple of weeks at work, hopefully I will get some rest and a couple of good nights sleep pre race.

Any advice welcome.
Mar 2013
8:28pm, 21 Mar 2013
5,117 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Around freezing and 15 mph winds sounds fine to me. If you're running pb pace the kit you listed or a bit less should be more than okay. Good luck! I'd go for it :-)
Mar 2013
8:31pm, 21 Mar 2013
2,026 posts
  •  
clairevmc
Hiya,

Do you know how exposed the course is - how much the wind is likely to be a major factor? Personally I think you are going to be over dressed - remember how much faster and therefore hotter you get in races (or is that just me) - my last HM pb was run in 1oC and I wore shorts, vest and gloves. Again this is just my personal opinion but I would go out at your planned pb pace - you can always slow down - at least that way you still have a pb as an outside option - starting slower means you're definitely not going to pb. Have a good race - I'm racing Sunday too and hoping not to have to be running in snow.
Mar 2013
8:39pm, 21 Mar 2013
576 posts
  •  
mr d
Course is quite exposed, country lanes and arable fields almost all the way. I wasn't sure if the tights were too much. Had shorts and two layers on the Sunday 7 in November and I was warm the last mile or so, but this in nearly twice the distance and I won't be going as fast.

Hopefully I will stop hacking up as breathing is important no matter how many layers you have on!
Mar 2013
8:41pm, 21 Mar 2013
2,028 posts
  •  
clairevmc
Do you have a Buff/tube scarf? It might be worth wearing something like that to keep your throat warm if that's a concern.
Mar 2013
8:45pm, 21 Mar 2013
577 posts
  •  
mr d
I have a vast array of buffs thanks to cycling to work until very recently. Good advice to add to all the previous good advice!
Mar 2013
9:04pm, 21 Mar 2013
8,292 posts
  •  
fleecy
Buff, gloves, anything removable and light is good. My half on Sunday wasn't as cold and not windy but I was soaked before the start and I was glad of both. I took my gloves off halfway round and tucked them into my capris. I tend to get hot in races, wear slightly less than you would for the same weather in a training run.
Mar 2013
9:10pm, 21 Mar 2013
23,162 posts
  •  
Old Croc
vest and shorts - maybe a base layer - £1 shop gloves then you can chuck them if get warm. Tights will be too warm when racing
Mar 2013
9:14pm, 21 Mar 2013
578 posts
  •  
mr d
Cheers Fleecy and Old Croc, tights was something I wasn't considering before when it was forecast at 1, but when it changed to -1 I started considering them.

Buffs are great as you can just wrap them around your wrist when you stop needing them.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by mr d
I have been lucky with the weather in the four previous half marathons I have run.

Sunday looks...