Summer healthcare products

5 watchers
Jul 2013
10:03am, 16 Jul 2013
14,579 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Given the lovely weather now, lots of us are going out for longer, off-road, enjoying seeing new places.

Problem with this is, of course, the annoyances of being outdoors for a while in the sun.

Sunscreen is a must, now, and off-road leads to insect bites.

I have my favourite sunscreen, but haven't used insect repellent running before (and have been bitten to buggery), so I'm keen to see recommendations for both, as well as anything else I might need to lather on myself.
Jul 2013
10:10am, 16 Jul 2013
10,441 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
lurks in the thread...
Jul 2013
10:15am, 16 Jul 2013
17,226 posts
  •  
sheri3004
Insects don't seem to find me very tasty, thankfully, but sunscreen is a must. I just use my daughter's or whatever happens to be lying around.

The thing I am struggling with now, which has never been a problem before, is hay fever. Because I've never really had it I don't really know how to deal with it. I've started taking an antihistamine but it hasn't alleviated all the symptoms.
Jul 2013
10:23am, 16 Jul 2013
10,682 posts
  •  
What The Actual Fleecy
Sheri: lots of people are getting hay fever this year which they've never had before, my son included. If you have sore eyes use eye drops, if you have bunged up nose and throat try a nasal spray like Beconase, it helps with eyes too apparently. Take those as well as the antihistamine, plus you can take more than one type of antihistamine too, my GP recommended I give ds1 cetirizine in the morning and piriton at night (that's the drowsy one). I found Loratidine didn't help me that much compared with cetirizine, but when my hay fever is at its worst then I need an arsenal! Luckily mine is spring/winter so I'm ok in summer.

For really long runs I can recommend zinc, it's the business for bits which burn easily. Buy the coloured stuff and you can frighten small children too :)
Jul 2013
10:26am, 16 Jul 2013
17,228 posts
  •  
sheri3004
That's helpful, Fleecy, thanks :)
Jul 2013
10:28am, 16 Jul 2013
2,382 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I've just used Boots insect repellent spray - it's mostly citronella so doesn't smell too bad, wearing sunglasses helps with hayfever eyes. I'm also taking & drinking my water, but still find I struggle to rehydrate sufficiently once I'm home.
Jul 2013
10:30am, 16 Jul 2013
14,580 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Well, this has become relevant, as it turns out my favourite sunscreen, which I was looking for a link for, no longer seems to be available to buy in shops.

Apparently it catches on fire.
Jul 2013
10:38am, 16 Jul 2013
26,190 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
As Fleecy says, a combination of an antihistamine and a nasal spray is usually effective for hay fever provided both are used every day, and few people need to resort to eye drops in addition. If you're not getting adequate control with over-the-counter medications, see your GP - there are other products on prescription.

If I go to certain places in summer, I have to make a decision about sun protection vs. midgie protection. I'm so allergic to Scottish biting midgies that I usually wear long clothing for sun protection (or, since it's Scotland, full waterproof cover!) and douse myself in 50% DEET for the midgies. Fortunately, the small insects where I live don't seem to be biters.

Sunscreen. Make sure it has both UVA and UVB protection, and don't bother with anything below factor 25 or (unless you're an albino or are on photosensitising medications) above factor 50, and buy one that you can afford to lash on in handfuls.
Jul 2013
10:40am, 16 Jul 2013
1,381 posts
  •  
FreshStart
The best insect repellent I've ever used avonshop.co.uk
Jul 2013
10:45am, 16 Jul 2013
14,582 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Interesting, Vrap. I've always applied SPF50 as a matter of course. I'm not ginger, though. I can buy this:

boots.com

in Boots, which is what I usually use but SPF30. Is the difference relevant?

Also, whicle I'm thinking about it, anyone have eczema? What do you use as sublock if you're flaring-up? Boy can't bear sunblock near the creases of his elbows/knees or under his chin.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
Given the lovely weather now, lots of us are going out for longer, off-road, enjoying seeing new pla...