Suggestions on prescription running sunglasses?

6 watchers
Apr 2021
5:28pm, 21 Apr 2021
55 posts
  •  
PAJ89
Just wondering if any Fetchies have any personal recommendations on options for prescription sunglasses that work well and are comfortable for frequent, long distance running? Will say from the jump that I'm not willing to consider contact lenses. I've got two pairs of Oakleys (some variation of a Radar which I'm wearing in my profile pic and a pair of transition-prescription Flak 2.0) which I've had for somewhere close to 7 and 6 years respectively. They have been fantastic and the Radars are great for race day/when not in work, but the Flak is getting pretty well worn with the rubber not holding quite as tight to nose/ear area and the lenses having lost a decent amount of their anti-fog coating. Starting to think about a pair that is performance enough to use for regular distance running but just about casual enough that they don't look out of place wearing day-to-day, at work, etc. Considering how well the Oakleys have gone I'd have no hesitation getting another pair but if anyone has any personal experience with other brands (and how easy/difficult the process was to get them in the prescription you need), would be greatly appreciated.
Apr 2021
5:33pm, 21 Apr 2021
73,904 posts
  •  
Gobi
ndrsports.com

I have these with VariFocals
Apr 2021
9:40pm, 21 Apr 2021
57 posts
  •  
PAJ89
Thanks Gobi will take a look.
Apr 2021
12:02am, 22 Apr 2021
4,364 posts
  •  
FergusG
If you want to keep the Oakleys, you should be able to get a kit with all new rubber parts for about £15 online. I’ve no idea how expensive a new set of prescription lenses would be, but they should snap right into your Oakleys.
Apr 2021
8:37am, 22 Apr 2021
58 posts
  •  
PAJ89
Thanks Fergus, had a quick scan after reading and yeah, actually surprised that the replacement parts kit are that cheap and appear to be genuine Oakley. Just need to find out exactly which models both my pairs are.
Apr 2021
9:10am, 23 Apr 2021
768 posts
  •  
Albert O Balsam
Do you have a link ?

Many thanks, it'd be a great help to me if I could source some of those
Apr 2021
12:16pm, 23 Apr 2021
59 posts
  •  
PAJ89
I searched it on Amazon Albert and there were quite a few options for different models, I skimmed reviews of quite a few and there were a lot of comments specifically saying genuine Oakley, so I think as long as you get some feedback from previous purchasers should be safe.
Apr 2021
5:09pm, 23 Apr 2021
769 posts
  •  
Albert O Balsam
Great - many thanks !
Apr 2021
9:20am, 26 Apr 2021
20,589 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Thanks for the link to NDR, by the way, Gobi. I've just ordered a pair of prescriptions swim goggles. Not confident with my (thoroughly ill-advised) contact lenses/goggles combo now both my kids are becoming confident swimmers, especially now the boy is trying to learn to dive.
Apr 2021
8:28am, 30 Apr 2021
20,627 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Just as an update, my prescription swim goggles arrived yesterday. They look decent, feel comfortable, and I sat for a while watching the television wearing them yesterday, so they work. Not tested them in water yet, but I'm taking the kids swimming on Monday so we can see how they work then.

About This Thread

Maintained by PAJ89
Just wondering if any Fetchies have any personal recommendations on options for prescription sunglas...