Suggestions for a race please, but with many limitations!

4 watchers
Jan 2015
8:37pm, 2 Jan 2015
6,529 posts
  •  
GordonG
Mrs GordonG has 3 friends at work who would like to set themselves a running-related challenge as an incentive to get fit.

Last year they did a 10K, although two of them stopped at 5k. The two who stopped will not be any fitter this year than last. So I'm trying to find an event that will inspire them to do a bit of training and get a little fitter - I'm sure they'll try to do something further than 5K. The difficult bit is that there are so many limitations I fear it's an impossible task:

- Within 2 hours drive of Dartford, or relatively easy to get to via public transport
- 10K max, though ideally not "just" a 5k or a 10k. Note the distance isn't important per se, it's more about the event.
- an event no earlier than March, though May or June would be more realistic
- not silly money - e.g. a Major Series race has potential but I personally think their prices just exploit demand
- there's a strong element of fun to it so, again, not "just" a 5 or 10k
- have thought about London to Brighton as a team relay, but the distance is probably too much for them and, besides, doing something as a relay defeats the object of them doing something together

So, that's quite a list of limitations. I've had a quick look at the Fetch race finder, but within those restrictions can anyone suggest an event that a group of relatively unfit, 40-something, women might like to set themselves as a challenge?

come on you Fetchies, I know you can help!
Jan 2015
8:43pm, 2 Jan 2015
74 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Not sure about locations but the women's running 10k series have a few nationwide and they are supposed to be very supportuve. I would have ran NY first 10k with them but I live up north And they don't have many locations. I think they had a couple in London area and have more locations this year. Goodie bags are supposed to be great

I ran my first 10 in November just gone and I ran the Leeds morun. They do 5 or 10k event and the atmosphere was fabulous we ran with a group of us and customised underwear will see if I can attach a pic. The medal was something else!

How do I post a picture?

I've heard the colour runs are fun they are 5k. No idea about locations you would have to Google. But the idea you wear white and the spectators and marshalls chuck paint at you as you go round. Money goes to charity from entry fee
Jan 2015
8:44pm, 2 Jan 2015
6,530 posts
  •  
GordonG
TB - thanks, the colour runs is an excellent suggestion. exactly what i was looking for.

more please!
Jan 2015
8:46pm, 2 Jan 2015
75 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
mo-running.com

No race dates or loactiins listed for this year yet but you can see where they were this year. I found them by location. I wanted a 10k within an hour or so drive but not a summer one!
Jan 2015
8:49pm, 2 Jan 2015
2,386 posts
  •  
Crooked-smile
no idea of location and therefore it they would be any use, but what about the race for life Pretty Muddy events? they're like obstacle course type things for all levels of ability (fund raising but no minimum raise)
Jan 2015
8:50pm, 2 Jan 2015
76 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
thecolorrun.co.uk
Sorry for my typos I'm cuddling a sleeping poorly baby!

I would have thought a 5k be better and if they train for it and hopefully find it easier then last year it would be good for confidence rather then struggling to do a 10k and not completing it. Least that would be how I would have felt if I hadn't been able to finish.

Sure someone can think of some more.
Jan 2015
8:52pm, 2 Jan 2015
2,387 posts
  •  
Crooked-smile
raceforlife.cancerresearchuk.org
Jan 2015
9:04pm, 2 Jan 2015
18,576 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Bluebell 5

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewracedetails.php?id=84823

Its trail but very pretty in May normally

users.aber.ac.uk No details yet of this years race but keep an eye out

Alternatively look at my profile and races I have done as am just over the water from you.
Jan 2015
9:37pm, 2 Jan 2015
3,199 posts
  •  
Winded
It isn't very sexy but they could start with parkrun. I know it's only a 5k but it's friendly and sociable and approachable and as competitive as people want to be. Measurable improvement too if they go back to the same course. Perhaps more of a training idea than a target event.
Jan 2015
9:52pm, 2 Jan 2015
2,460 posts
  •  
Curly45
We own the night by Nike:
m.nike.com

Or there is an electro run if they like that kind of music?

Also Niketown do regular running events for all levels - I've met Paula Radcliffe that way twice and they always do a good spread and a free tee post run, not a race of course!

Anything in central London is likely to be pretty gimmicky and at the right sort of level by the sounds of it ;)

About This Thread

Maintained by GordonG
Mrs GordonG has 3 friends at work who would like to set themselves a running-related challenge as an...