Subungual haematoma aka runner's toe

2 watchers
Jun 2019
10:42pm, 20 Jun 2019
3,147 posts
  •  
StuH
aka blood blister under the toenail.

Anybody dealt with this. Either themselves :-O or by a professional.

Developed during 50 miles at Endure24 under my big toenail. Rather painful and very frustrating as I want to run.
Jun 2019
11:32pm, 20 Jun 2019
486 posts
  •  
Groundhog
I've seen it dealt with on tv possibly YouTube as well. Take a very small drill that you have sterilized (boiled/alcohol?) And carefully drill through the nail until it bleeds through and relieves the pressure. You could ask the doctor/nurse at your GP to do it or come round mine as I have a handy Dremmel that should do the trick.
Jun 2019
12:37am, 21 Jun 2019
3,148 posts
  •  
StuH
Thanks for the offer Groundhog, it's taken me all evening to build up to it but I've done it! :-O

Sort of.

Most people say drill bit or needle through the nail, but there was a large amount of "blister" visible under the tip of the nail, so I took the easy route. As shown here;
https://youtu.be/TKWllTCqOKk

Pressure relieved. But toenail now very loose.
jda
Jun 2019
8:32am, 21 Jun 2019
4,680 posts
  •  
jda
My last few I have just left them as they are. They have eventually solidified and worked their way out. Currently rebuilding one nail and another one still black after Manchester this spring.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by StuH
aka blood blister under the toenail.

Anybody dealt with this. Either themselves :-O or by a profe...