Sub 3Hr Marathon

7 lurkers | 296 watchers
Nov 2021
3:46am, 27 Nov 2021
48 posts
  •  
depeche_mould
Its so hard when you are working so much? I also struggle with work-run balance. The key for me is getting to be early and getting a run in before work, otherwise I'm just too stuffed after a long day. Hope your knees get there eventually
Nov 2021
6:06am, 27 Nov 2021
5,271 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I wouldn't usually work this much d_p but unfortunately it looks as though it will be ongoing until at least the end of December. I usually start at 0730hrs so no chance of a pre-work run at this time of year and if I just do an early shift (rare at the moment) I finish at 1400hrs but need to get home, eat and digest before thinking of a run - by which time it's getting dark again. I'm mostly working through until 1700hrs at the moment so not even a small chance of a run afterwards. On my feel all day too. Having said all of that it's my choice. I could say no and go back to three 0730-1400hr shifts a week, just doesn't feel right.
jda
Nov 2021
11:50am, 28 Nov 2021
11,221 posts
  •  
jda
That's tough especially at this time of year LMH.

My calendar says it's 18 weeks to Manchester today! So I did my first "long run" of the season. Not really long, just 21km and a few minutes short of 2h as that was still my longest in 18 months and I didn't want to overdo it. Aerobically I'm feeling great, the legs don't have the running endurance though.
Nov 2021
5:46pm, 28 Nov 2021
5,282 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
jda - I'm just clinging to the hope that things settle down soon but with no extra staff (or room for them to work) and the increasing numbers to vaccinate especially with the likely announcement of lowering the gap between jabs and the age groups I fear it won't be this year or maybe until then end of January so I'll need to tick over on two runs a week - weather permitting. Heavy snow this afternoon and freezing temps overnight so even if I wasn't working tomorrow it's unlikely I'd have been able to run.
jda
Nov 2021
6:06pm, 28 Nov 2021
11,226 posts
  •  
jda
No weather for running now, even more so if you're in the dark. I had to mince my way over some higher-lying icy sections and that was before today's additional snow.

Hope the workload doesn't overwhelm you. I agree it looks like you've got a busy time ahead, as far as the eye can see....
Nov 2021
6:17pm, 28 Nov 2021
21,321 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
It was interesting running for me today. I ran this afternoon and so avoided running when it actually snowed. By this afternoon the snow had almost all gone but there were random bits that were still around and quite often it wasn’t clear why some stretches were icy but all around it was melted.
Nov 2021
9:21am, 29 Nov 2021
1,923 posts
  •  
Brunski
Pretty heavy snow/icy conditions here and I haven't tried running on it yet, had a couple of days on my wife's spin bike and little else! Hoping to get a session in somewhere this evening (may have to try a supermarket entry Rd?)

Fits quite well with a taper for the Percy Pud 10k next Sunday so not overly bothered by the weather interruption.
Nov 2021
11:47am, 29 Nov 2021
3,327 posts
  •  
STOOSH
Been a while since i've poked my head in here - good to see the thread is still very active.

Had some fleeting thoughts of getting back into sub3 shape by Manchester after a bit of consistent training only to be knocked back to square 1 with kids picking up every bug going before getting hit with the covid plague this last week. I take some optimism with jda saying it's 18 weeks away as i had it in my head it was the start of March!
Nov 2021
2:21pm, 29 Nov 2021
1,924 posts
  •  
Brunski
Just entered London 2022, last day for GFA entry (closes at 4pm) for anyone equally as much of a Last Minute Larry as me.
jda
Dec 2021
5:40pm, 3 Dec 2021
11,268 posts
  •  
jda
Seriously pleased with my first set of intervals in the marathon plan. 3:46/km average pace for my 8x4 mins, last time I did the session in 2019 it was 3:55. I did have the fugly shoes on and rested legs though, both of which are probably worth a bit. But it seems I'm in better shape than I thought following the Zwift Academy treadmill sessions. It didn't really feel that hard and I kept the quality up through the set.

10km race next weekend will be a proper test.

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
All about hitting the magic 2:xx:yy!
Targets 2024
======
14 April Mancs
rhb
21 April London
Chris 2:36:45
28 April
Newport
Miser 2:45
Boston (Lincs)
Brunski 2:55
======
Results 2024
======
bunting
medal medal medal medal medal
18 Feb Seville
mattykay 2.58.32
14 April Rotterdam
jomo_richmond 2:43:18
medal medal medal medal medal
bunting

=====================
Current (2018) thread owner jda, if I go awol then someone else should feel free to take over...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.