Sub 3Hr Marathon

4 lurkers | 299 watchers
Oct 2021
10:17pm, 21 Oct 2021
44 posts
  •  
depeche_mould
Some cracking times congrats to all

Booked a night marathon in Sydney Dec 11th. Hoping to get a "real" PB on this one..
Oct 2021
7:19am, 26 Oct 2021
5,124 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I think you should be on for a PB d_p but doubt a night marathon is going to give you the best time you are capable of.

Right. Not that I can run yet but thoughts are turning to a spring marathon. I've run Boston (UK) before and am considering that but have seen that Blackpool is a week later - anyone any experience of that or even both to compare?
jda
Oct 2021
7:58am, 26 Oct 2021
11,007 posts
  •  
jda
I've only done the half but must say that Blackpool route is so exposed to the wind that it's a big risk if you're after a fast time. Especially as I'm pretty sure you are on the slight side and likely to be running solo for most of it.

Is there a reason to discount Manchester? I know I go on about it but it's very fast and well-attended with plenty of competition around our pace.
Oct 2021
8:18am, 26 Oct 2021
5,125 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That would be a fair description of me jda. :-) Boston is exposed to of course. I don't know why but Manchester has never appealed. Usually because of London I guess and I don't usually like the big events - too faffy with the logistics, too crowded etc. Possibly a bit early next year too. If we have a bad winter it would mean more pressure to get out regardless of the weather and work pressure.
Oct 2021
8:20am, 26 Oct 2021
5,126 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Just had a look - prohibitively expensive too! Can't believe they have the cheek to say that you can opt out of a medal and t-shirt but pay the same!
Oct 2021
11:59am, 26 Oct 2021
4,336 posts
  •  
CC2 Speedy Goth
I thought that too LMH. I'm not generally bothered about medals and T Shirts for your average 10k or whatever, but I do like to wear a medal immediately after running a flipping marathon, and if I'm not getting a discount then I'm having the medal.
Oct 2021
12:18pm, 26 Oct 2021
39 posts
  •  
paulcook
That would be a fair description of me jda. Boston is exposed to of course. I don't know why but Manchester has never appealed. Usually because of London I guess and I don't usually like the big events - too faffy with the logistics, too crowded etc. Possibly a bit early next year too. If we have a bad winter it would mean more pressure to get out regardless of the weather and work pressure.

I think Yorkshire Marathon is fast and flat and that's later in the year, October.
Oct 2021
12:36pm, 26 Oct 2021
5,128 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I've run York thanks Paul. Looking for a spring marathon.

CC2 - I'd happily give up the medal and t-shirt for a £10 (at least!) discount but if I'm going to pay for it anyway I'll have it!
jda
Oct 2021
12:47pm, 26 Oct 2021
11,010 posts
  •  
jda
Yes Mancs is quite pricey. But I reckon as an annual thing that's the main focus of my running, it's affordable. Not an expensive hobby otherwise. I've generally avoided the worst of the crowds by being near the front, but the support etc around the course is good :-)

There is Bentham in late May (provisional) if you want a picturesque course. But don't go looking for a PB or a sub-3!
jda
Oct 2021
12:49pm, 26 Oct 2021
11,011 posts
  •  
jda
Lancaster also puts on a summer marathon if that sort of date/season suits. Too hot for me and I'll be mostly cycling by then.

lancaster-race-series.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
All about hitting the magic 2:xx:yy!
Targets 2024
======
28 April
Newport
Miser 2:45
Boston (Lincs)
Brunski 2:55
======
Results 2024
bunting
medal medal medal medal medal
18 Feb Seville
mattykay 2.58.32
14 April Rotterdam
jomo_richmond 2:43:18
21 April London
Chris 2:39:16
Alun 2:59:28
medal medal medal medal medal
bunting

=====================
Current (2018) thread owner jda, if I go awol then someone else should feel free to take over...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.