Sub 3Hr Marathon

2 lurkers | 297 watchers
jda
Nov 2020
8:19am, 16 Nov 2020
8,795 posts
  •  
jda
If I was that quick I’d be wearing my vest round town on a daily basis, lockdown or not :-)

Fantastic performance jomo!
Nov 2020
2:26pm, 16 Nov 2020
716 posts
  •  
Daddy Shark
What jda says ^^. Get that vest on!
Nov 2020
3:14pm, 16 Nov 2020
157 posts
  •  
jomo_richmond
Thanks all. I think I might have to keep it safe in my wardrobe and maybe my daughter will qualify to wear it in about 30 years, if the moths haven't destroyed it by then.
Nov 2020
4:59pm, 18 Nov 2020
487 posts
  •  
icenutter
Good work!
Nov 2020
1:31pm, 27 Nov 2020
159 posts
  •  
jomo_richmond
Bit of a long shot, random question - does anyone know the Saffron Waldon area in Essex? I am looking at the Active Training World marathon in April 2021 at the former RAF Debden airfield near there. ATW organised the recent marathon at Dorney Lake and are also doing one at Dorney next April as well - I am trying to make up my mind between the two.

I have always experienced terrible weather when I have run at Dorney, so am looking for somewhere that isn't as typically windy or exposed to give myself a better chance of breaking 2:45. I imagine an airfield has the potential to be exposed as well but at least it doesn't have the lake - I just don't who that area at all.

In an ideal world I would be running one of my "Plan A" marathons like Hamburg, but I don't expect any major marathons to take place in the spring so am looking at doing a small, closed circuit one instead. Other ideas welcome.
Nov 2020
4:36pm, 27 Nov 2020
3,869 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Do you qualify for the Wrexham elite jomo? They are planning to hold it on the 25th April now.
Nov 2020
4:49pm, 27 Nov 2020
160 posts
  •  
jomo_richmond
I don't think I am fast enough for Wrexham, LMH. You are supposed to be able to run a sub-2:40 but, hand on heart, I don't think I could do better than a 2:42/43 on a perfect weather, flat course day where everything goes absolutely right - which it never does.

My last real marathon was a 2:47 in 2019 (albeit on a not very fast course), so I don't think that will get me in - even though I am running a lot faster now in HM/10k time trials compared to what I was doing last year.
Nov 2020
5:45pm, 27 Nov 2020
3,873 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
You have to evidence your ability too jomo with a link to your PoT profile.
Nov 2020
12:11pm, 28 Nov 2020
1,479 posts
  •  
Chris
Jomo, I’ve run a 5k their and as run at dorney. Saffron Walden is one of the quickest 5k courses I’ve run, parts are exposed like dorney but it does have some areas which has a bit of shelter.

I hadn’t seen Saffron walden would do a marathon, how many laps will it be?
Nov 2020
12:25pm, 28 Nov 2020
161 posts
  •  
jomo_richmond
Thanks, Chris - helpful colour. It’s six laps of the airfield. It looks very flat but I wasn’t sure if it would be quite exposed to wind. Here’s the link:

activetrainingworld.co.uk

I am now also wondering if I could sneak into the Wrexham race. The course has a few undulations by the looks of it but I it is going to be a very fast set of runners, which might help in finding people to pace along side (albeit right at the back for me).

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
All about hitting the magic 2:xx:yy!
Targets 2024
======
14 April Mancs
rhb
21 April London
Chris 2:36:45
28 April
Newport
Miser 2:45
Boston (Lincs)
Brunski 2:55
======
Results 2024
======
bunting
medal medal medal medal medal
18 Feb Seville
mattykay 2.58.32
medal medal medal medal medal
bunting

=====================
Current (2018) thread owner jda, if I go awol then someone else should feel free to take over...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.