Sub 3Hr Marathon

297 watchers
jda
Jun 2020
3:24pm, 22 Jun 2020
7,662 posts
  •  
jda
Yeah we do a club handicap and it has all those problems though it's just a bit of fun and no-one really cares. I've had a pretty fair handicap each time but there is always someone with an absolute gimme who comes out top. But the race could be determined based on fastest time regardless of start positions (and actually we do have a prize for that too).
Jun 2020
4:11pm, 22 Jun 2020
1,179 posts
  •  
Roberto
We do club handicap series which work really well but takes a lot of organisation for handicaps for over 100 members who take part. I really enjoy them and find I run much better chasing people down (I've started all of them either last or second last).

We have been doing a virtual handicap series (race 3 this week) so far which is helping people keep going and have had over 100 finishers each time so far. But I've struggled with them as its alone.

My club also runs a handicapped race "Blyth Sands Race" which is good fun as well but really hard work. They can work well.but needs commitment from organisers and acceptance that there will always be one or two handicaps that are a bit out.
Jun 2020
9:57am, 25 Jun 2020
430 posts
  •  
icenutter
Blyth Sands is handicapped by age and sex, rather than ability, isn’t it? That makes things much easier for the organisers.
Jun 2020
10:11am, 25 Jun 2020
1,188 posts
  •  
Roberto
Ah, good point icenutter, I forgot about that. Good race if any of you ever get a chance to do it.
Jun 2020
2:49pm, 27 Jun 2020
1,414 posts
  •  
Chris
So what’s everyone’s thoughts on any marathons taking place this year either in the uk or Europe? Which ones do you see as being most likely to happen?
Jun 2020
2:50pm, 27 Jun 2020
1,415 posts
  •  
Chris
We need some names to keep Keith company on the leaderboard.
Jun 2020
3:01pm, 27 Jun 2020
1,194 posts
  •  
Roberto
I don't think any of the big ones will happen (London, Manchester etc).

I have half a hope that Boston (UK) will take place and I have a place for that and targeting sub 3 rather than the 2.45 I was hoping for earlier in the year.
jda
Jun 2020
3:29pm, 27 Jun 2020
7,712 posts
  •  
jda
Nope for big ones. Boston is about the size that could possibly go ahead, but I'm not interested in training for it and it's too much for a fun run. I hope there are smaller (and shorter!) local events springing up by then.

That reminds me, I don't think I ever withdrew from the rearranged Boston. Done now.
Jun 2020
9:37pm, 27 Jun 2020
1,416 posts
  •  
Chris
Hmmmm any others around?

I’ve got plenty of miles in the legs so Boston could be a good one to have a crack at. Like you say I highly doubt London will go ahead
Jun 2020
11:39am, 28 Jun 2020
278 posts
  •  
John Bach
With Snowdonia cancelled I'm still in 2 minds re entering the rearranged Windemere marathon although I'd be very surprised if it goes ahead (it's just a week after the date Snowdonia was meant to take place). I was planning to do it next year in any case

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
All about hitting the magic 2:xx:yy!
Targets 2024
======
14 April Mancs
rhb
21 April London
Chris 2:36:45
28 April
Newport
Miser 2:45
Boston (Lincs)
Brunski 2:55
======
Results 2024
======
bunting
medal medal medal medal medal
18 Feb Seville
mattykay 2.58.32
14 April Rotterdam
jomo_richmond 2:43:18
medal medal medal medal medal
bunting

=====================
Current (2018) thread owner jda, if I go awol then someone else should feel free to take over...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.