Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Sub 2 Minute 800m (new group)

29 watchers
Jan 2015
4:07pm, 8 Jan 2015
7255 posts
  •  
Blister
Hey Adders, it's been busy! I did the 3km at Cardiff in December, but only ran 9.57 (a 2 second PB). I was hoping to run something like 9.45.

I'm not sure if I can make it this weekend due to niggles, man flue and gf wanting to visit London!

Training has been crap recently due to knee and hamstring niggles.... doing more swimming than running it seems!
Jan 2015
6:32pm, 12 Jan 2015
403 posts
  •  
Adders
F***ing hell. You'll never guess what. This has probably never happened in the history of athletics. But I ran one lap extra in my 3000m yesterday. Thats right, ONE LAP EXTRA!! Im so peeved. I was not keeping track of number of laps I was running and without any feedback from officials/lap counter I did not know how to control my pacing. The race itself felt ok and I was on course to run a good time (9:25 ish). My performance has come up as 10:06 but that is for 3200 metres. My actual 3000m time would surely have been sub 9:30. I had overtaken a guy who ended up running 9:33 and stayed ahead of him throughout.

I would appreciate some input guys. Are all athletes really expected to keep track of the number of laps theyre running? And why didnt the officials pick up on me running further than necessary? Is there any way for the performance to be rectified so that it reflects my 3000m time as opposed to 3200m? Ive emailed them a complaint and tried calling welsh athletics. No response yet.

What a joke....
Jan 2015
7:29pm, 12 Jan 2015
621 posts
  •  
Reinhold Messner
It's probably up to the athlete - but I don't know that for sure. But then if the only way they knew you'd finished the race was when you stopped, there's nothing to say you didn't really only run 2800 and claim the time for that.

Either way, I find that having an opinion which is different to that of an official is generally a waste of time... If they say you ran 3000m in 10:06 then that's what happened - your opinion to the contrary is merely that you miscounted the laps ;-)
Jun 2015
12:53pm, 4 Jun 2015
2234 posts
  •  
Pizza Boy
Bringing this back because on Saturday I believe I have a realistic attempt at a sub 2 minute 800!

I haven't done an ounce of speedwork but have an excellent base which got me a 32.01 10k on the roads. Despite a slow disappointing start to the season targeting Highgate things have moved rapidly. With no track work sub 10k pace at all I ran a 4.14 1500 and then a week later at Watford (last night) I ran a 4.08. This consisted of being boxed in for a 68+ second first lap and taking the race all the way for a win so lots to come.

Lots to come exciting times if not Saturday then it's got to happen soon!
Jun 2015
3:43pm, 4 Jun 2015
7256 posts
  •  
Blister
Awesome Alex, well done on your recent performances. You keep getting better and better! Good luck with Saturday.

I'm glad to just be back running (sometimes). I have only run 2.04 this season but all the others have been 2.08 and then a 2.10 on Saturday. Although, to be fair that was 2 weeks after my wedding in Mexico where I got taken to hospital with heat stroke!
Jun 2015
12:24am, 7 Jun 2015
2235 posts
  •  
Pizza Boy
Blister - Yes I saw huge congratulations Blister! Will you be staying in Mexico? Heat stroke that's really bad hope you have recovered mate.

So the 800... Fully warmed up and everything...then in 100m shorts failed me had to pull out to avoid a life time on youtube hahaha

However ran a decent 8.57 3000m solo to redeem myself in v windy conditions so hopefully more to come on that too. 800 will come hopefully Watford in a few Weds!
Jun 2015
10:12pm, 15 Jun 2015
405 posts
  •  
Adders
F*** me its been a while since I posted. Sorry guys for being so out of touch but the truth is that since January I have been predominantly occupied with sorting my f****d up life out (i.e. career). But its fine now. Ive got a new position at Moulton College near Northampton (becoming member of Rugby and Northampton AC). I was out for two whole months with a lower leg injury following a good injury free spree (winter training was generally good and consistent). But i started training again mid May and now building up speed and race shape gradually. Did my first track session of the summer yesterday and it went surprisingly well. Doing some water rehab and getting orthotics too. FINGERS CROSSED injury free till September.

Well done Alex. Excellent running as always (I assume you had boxers on underneath btw). Hopefully we can reunite soon now that we are both in Midlands.

Hope things are well with you Blister.

Its been a while since Ive been in that true competitive spirit and Ive been focusing so much on sorting out other important issues in my life (e.g. work, social and dating life) but right now I feel mentally charged to pursue fulfilment in the sport I love so dearly and to chase down that sub 2 mins that eluded me for eternity thus far...
Jun 2015
1:51pm, 16 Jun 2015
2236 posts
  •  
Pizza Boy
Haha good to hear from you Adders but sorry about recent events keep it really easy no spikes! I always find when other things in life start going well so does the running but it works the other way too!

My first proper track session last Tuesday for a long long time! 1200, 4min, 800, 3min, 600, 3min, 400, 2min, 200 in 3.26, 2.10, 61 (Horrendously died after 27s 200m), 29 so speed is there! Sub 2 attempt in Watford watch this space!
Jul 2015
12:04am, 3 Jul 2015
406 posts
  •  
Adders
Well that has to be the most successful track season opener ever! Did the Watford Open Meet yesterday. Felt in decent shape but put down 4:20 as my prediction. Was put in race 10 of 17. Scorching hot day, but didnt seem to affect me. First lap in 66, Im thinking shit Im going too fast! I was by myself the whole race and ended up running 4:14. A new pb by 3 secs! Couldnt believe it. I was miles clear. Should have been in one of the faster races. But still, a fantastic (allbeit late) start to my season after over 2 months out.

Alex, I saw you went to Watford too! Just about a PB as well? Shame I didnt catch you!

So my sub 2 minute 800m charge resumes.....
Jul 2015
12:01am, 10 Jul 2015
407 posts
  •  
Adders
Guys, I hope you are not dormant / hibernating / dead.

But this is basically the moment the whole thread has waited for. Just for ANYONE to fulfill the title of the thread. Turns out that person was me!!

I am genuinely speechless and I dont think its actually sunk in yet. But thats right - I have FINALLY BROKEN 2 MINUTES and it was only my first 800m of the season after over two months out. It was a BMC meet in Ealing yesterday. The pacemaker in my race (field of 5) was set to go at 58/59 which would have been perfect. Turns out he went faster than that but I was sensible, trusted my instinct and stuck to the back of the pack (indeed I hit the bell at 58.5). Second lap I made my trademark move of attacking down the back straight virtually in lane 3 and move into the top 3. I was desperately closing down the leading two in the home straight and saw the clock stop at 1:59.05 for the winner. I was close to him in 3rd but couldnt tell if I was close enough to him to break 2. Turns out I was. Result was 1:59.6. :)

It feels soooo surreal! I cant believe the wait is actually over. Looking back the past few years, it is remarkable how much progress Ive made. 2013 was a meaningful breakthrough for me in becoming nationally ranked, but to actually go under 2 minutes - a distant dream not so long ago - is pretty special indeed. Just goes to show that with determination and persistence, any realistic goal can be achieved....

About This Thread

Maintained by Blister
For those who run 800m and would like to break that magical 2 minute mark.