Sub-2 half marathon

67 watchers
Feb 2019
1:21pm, 12 Feb 2019
13,274 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
FWIW, how easy does the 27 minute parkrun feel? Until it's quite comfortable a sub2 half is a push. I would slow the long runs down more - my best half times have come off the back of long runs at more like 11.00/11.30 min/mile. Intervals definitely made the difference to me - but I would mix them up and do time rather than distance (more fun). I would certainly push for 3 runs a week. In terms of long run distance, I tend to programme several runs of 10 miles, then one of 14 two weeks' before, I find this gives a big confidence boost - it's hard, but further. If you get someone to run 12 miles and it's hard but not as far, that can be quite a negative experience mentally. Finally, for me sub2 came on the back of very careful pacing - starting a good bit slower than target pace for the first 3 miles and then picking up the pace to faster than race pace. The final mile was a bit 'hang on for grim death' but it worked overall!
Feb 2019
1:44pm, 12 Feb 2019
6,720 posts
  •  
larkim
Cheers AL - at the minute, 27m40 parkrun is as fast as her legs are going at the moment, but that's at Delamere (so not flat), but even if 2:02-04 is more likely off that (Fetch standards would suggest 27:10 is about 2h01) it's about where she will be in 14 weeks time compared to where she is at now, surely?

Locally we've got a 440m loop around a flat bit of residential housing so 400m-ish intervals can be done consistently - that appeals to me! - but it's fair comment about the "fun" needing to be there too. But she's a hard worker and enjoys structure, so that might not be a particular issue.

On long run pace, I agree - as slow as you like and no faster than 10:30 - but 11s, 11:30 is perfectly fine - and might make doing some race pace miles in the middle more palatable! I've said 10:30 simply because that appears to be her natural pace to cruise at, and her most recent 11 miler was at 10:35 without being too challenging. I toyed with over-distance too, and in fact if she does run home - Delamere - home as a parkrun sandwich she'll have done 14 then too, so we could tweak that.

I think she can consistently get 3 per week in, perhaps 4 at a push, and she knows more = better. It's just finding time between work, family, evening stuff, etc etc, especially with the pair of us running and our 19 year old away at Uni (so no free baby sitting for the rest of them!)

Her log is here fetcheveryone.com/training.php?uid=75028 and I think is public. Really, any steers gratefully received!
Feb 2019
3:54pm, 12 Feb 2019
13,275 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I can't see the log - I think she might have to make me a buddy - I am happy to have a look if you think I can help. Yes obviously training will have an impact, but it's worth using that parkrun time as a benchmark - in my first sub-2 days I had my 5k time down to around 26 mins with a PB of just 25.20. It may well also be that she is more suited to longer running rather being fond of the sharper end of things like me! In theory my half time should be much faster than it is...
Feb 2019
4:08pm, 12 Feb 2019
6,727 posts
  •  
larkim
Hmm, I thought her log was public! Hey ho...

I agree she needs to be swifter, it's finding the mechanism to help her sort that out - ability wise she has done sub 2 just 2 years ago (4VHM 2017), and her fastest parkrun at 12 weeks out from that was a 26:58 on a faster course, she progressed down to 26:00 about a fortnight out from 4VHM (and then 25:19 the week after 4VHM), so I'd expect a focussed training window would bring speed.
Feb 2019
4:48pm, 12 Feb 2019
13,276 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Well the link just takes me to mine? Either way, I agree, some focused intervals will definitely help - I quite like pyramid sessions, and progressive runs are also good.
Feb 2019
4:59pm, 12 Feb 2019
6,728 posts
  •  
larkim
Progression stuff sounds good - could swap those for tempos too, and she can run those to effort on undulating terrain if a nice flat patch of tarmac isn't available.

(I'm starting to get self conscious about referring to "her" as "she" all the time!! But she doesn't post on here, so that'll have to do!)

I'll log into her account and buddy you so you can take a look if you have any time - she doesn't categorise runs etc so it's a bit dull!
Feb 2019
6:19pm, 12 Feb 2019
17,217 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I wouldn't have her do so many long runs, or perhaps so many runs so long - danger of racking up tiredness and going off the boil (which is what happened to me last HM (around three years ago :-( ). Having her run for just over two hours at around 11s would give 11 miles, a good basis.

How does she pace parkrun? A not untypical go out a bit hard and hang on? If so, I suggest she tries an easier first three km then push on, with a strong finish.
Feb 2019
9:34pm, 12 Feb 2019
6,729 posts
  •  
larkim
Interesting, Dvorak. I'd have naturally thought bang in the long runs no matter what, especially off a three run a week programme - loads of recovery time!

If we widen this out a bit from what my wife could / should run, what does a 3 run per week, HM plan look like for a 40 something at / around 60% WAVA?
Feb 2019
9:51pm, 12 Feb 2019
13,277 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Buddying worked - I can see now :) I would build a long run up of 8-10 miles with one that goes beyond 2 weeks before. I'd do one run a week that involves intervals or tempo work - to raise the pain threshold ;) and a third run that is easy. If a short 4th run can be fitted in so much the better. I can do a plan if you would like one.
Feb 2019
10:06pm, 12 Feb 2019
26,342 posts
  •  
LindsD
(Or just give her the one you did for me :)

She's a bit younger and faster but otherwise v similar :))

About This Thread

Maintained by sheri3004
I can't believe there isn't already a thread for this. But I can't find one. So I started one.