Sub 18 5k

120 watchers
jda
Apr 2022
8:39am, 30 Apr 2022
12,439 posts
  •  
jda
The fastest course in the country is usually a fiver for a 5k :-)
SPR
Apr 2022
9:03am, 30 Apr 2022
36,716 posts
  •  
SPR
I just checked the Sale Sizzler and that's £10 for on race, £35 for the series. Mid Cheshire 5k is £16. Possibly a profit element but maybe there's more costs involved in the Mid Cheshire race.

The point about exclusion by price feels like an absolute price issue to me and £16 for a race would be on the cheaper side from that point of view given HM/ marathons likely cost double (assumed based on a couple of races so could be wrong). Agree cheaper is better though and if the distance makes it cheaper to organise then makes sense for that to be passed on.

I don't want to run for a longer distance or time and my experience is not improved by doing that. As someone that does track, I don't expect sprinters to pay less than me, and those doing 3000, 5000 to pay more when I do 1500. Obviously with track the costs don't really change especially if the organiser owns the track.
rhb
Apr 2022
9:38am, 30 Apr 2022
1,947 posts
  •  
rhb
Mid cheshire is closed rd so will have costs for that each Sizzlers don't as that's in park.

I'm considering price from perspective of someone looking to race the season (not me). If it's £15+ a race it soon adds up. Hm/Mara tend to be raced less frequently and longer event likely has greater costs to cover.
SPR
Apr 2022
10:01am, 30 Apr 2022
36,717 posts
  •  
SPR
Yeah but not every race is £15+. There will be lower key races you can choose unless costs are generally going up everywhere.

Even if HM/ marathon has more costs to cover, is the higher rate really justified given the likely much higher numbers of participants those events have that can contribute to the costs or do you just accept it because you really want to do them and you can do a parkrun for free?

If the race is making loads of money then maybe they should look at a price reduction but I don't think that's immediately obvious.
Apr 2022
10:18am, 30 Apr 2022
17,757 posts
  •  
larkim
Mid Cheshire is competing with races like the podium series too which are £20 aren't they?

The organiser of the mid Cheshire race also does the Cheshire elite marathon and is definitely focused on high quality races which seem to go down well with runners.

It definitely attracts a high quality field anyway.
jda
Apr 2022
10:52am, 30 Apr 2022
12,441 posts
  •  
jda
I was referring to the podium 5k as being a fiver, though some of those events may be a bit more especially with significant prizes on offer. I haven’t raced one for a little while now.
Apr 2022
11:18am, 30 Apr 2022
17,758 posts
  •  
larkim
I might have got the wrong details, just did a quick Google for it. £5 for podium would be a bargain.
May 2022
9:00am, 4 May 2022
17,787 posts
  •  
larkim
Mid Cheshire is also the England Athletics champs race this year in August. Sold out currently though, there is a waiting list. I'll definitely spectate at that one.

On a different note, ref the powerof10 hardest / easiest parkrun thing.

What would be the "benchmark" translation of the SSS score against a notional best of 19 minutes or so?
May 2022
9:29am, 4 May 2022
76,802 posts
  •  
Gobi
I'm doing this a week on Friday

chestertri.org.uk
May 2022
9:56am, 4 May 2022
17,788 posts
  •  
larkim
Fast course and usually a good strong field too, run it a couple of times I think. Sadly can't come along to spectate I'm camping in Kirkby Lonsdale with my son's rugby club for the weekend but there'll be some Helsby RC members there, though most of them probably a minute behind you at best.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Ran 18:29 on 21/07/12 and want to go sub 18