Strength and Flexibility training for legs and (particularly) ankles

12 watchers
Sep 2012
5:07pm, 26 Sep 2012
3,540 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Not sure I'm flexible enough in my hip flexor to do that one fleecy.

All the gyms around here expect you to be a member of them to do their classes. The council ones don't do pilates or similar. I don't want to do circuit training/boot camp stuff - that's not really what I'm after - really flexibility is the key issue with me.

MM- maybe - I used to climb, but not sure about it any more, as I was never very good and I didn't really enjoy it that much. I may give it another go and see if my attitude has changed.

I am going to do the standing on one leg thing brushing your teeth, as I tried it earlier and my balance is terrible! I'm also considering some classes that are cheaper than I remember them being last time I looked into it.
Sep 2012
5:11pm, 26 Sep 2012
2,695 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
One of the amazing things is how quickly your balance can improve with practice. The first time I got on my wobble board I thought it was a total waste of money because I fell straight off! Within maybe three weeks I could stand on it on one leg for minutes at a time :-)
Sep 2012
7:27am, 27 Sep 2012
1,127 posts
  •  
Speedie
The use of wobble boards and swissballs are two great pieces of kit to have at home. The strength work and excersices I can now maintain on the swissball has helped over recent years.

Wednesday I use as my main strength day with some added core and then during the week do smaller sessions. Yesterday was my 6th week and remember when I started 6 weeks back I was unable to walk the following day. Now I have built up a good level, yesterday I managed:

3 x 20 Squats
3 x 20 squats (bouncing)
3 x 20 squats (Jumping)
3 x 12 ( One legged - per leg)
3 x 20 Forward lunges (per leg)
3 x 10 Backward lunges (per leg)
2 x 10 Bouncing lunges

4 x 1 min plank with 60 secsonds recovery ( I hate this - but aiming to work up to 10 x 1 min )
3 x 20 crunches
3 x 10 Lying leg raises

A combination of 452 squats and lunges yesterday and I can still walk ;-)

Stretching/strength/core is my big aim for the next few months - good luck all.
Sep 2012
7:46am, 27 Sep 2012
2,705 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I'm struggling to walk up and down stairs this morning and it's just from reading Speedie's work-out :-O
Sep 2012
8:12pm, 27 Sep 2012
17,137 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
I was thinking of this thread whilst I was waiting in the chippy (!). While I was waiting I was standing on one leg and then the other. Sometimes stuff can be slotted in whilst doing something completely different.
Sep 2012
8:58pm, 27 Sep 2012
2,719 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
SW, I used to travel a lot for work all over the world, and often found myself standing on one leg whilst waiting for my bag at the airport carousel or at immigration :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
I'm after a bit of advice about what the best way to go about improving general strength and flexib...