Strava to Fetch import - GPS data different

1 watcher
Aug 2016
10:37am, 18 Aug 2016
2 posts
  •  
bgillam001
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I am hoping some expert no GPS can help me identify an issue with the same run being reported differently across strava and fetch point.

This is the run, lodged with strava as 30.0km in 2hr 24 mins 24 secs.
strava.com

The run was exported from strava and loaded into Fetch here but shows 30.55km in 2 hr 24 mins 28 secs. An additional 0.55km seems to be added here,
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/t-12798083

I'm confused as to how the same data produces different distance results. Which is correct? (Clearly I'm hoping the longer distance is correct!).

Very grateful for any light anyone can shine on this.

Thanks
Aug 2016
4:30pm, 18 Aug 2016
1,943 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Is the run still in the watch history, what does it say ?
Aug 2016
9:24pm, 18 Aug 2016
4 posts
  •  
bgillam001
The run was logged with a fitbit surge, not a garmin, and they do not retain the history unfortunately.
Aug 2016
9:47pm, 18 Aug 2016
1,947 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I've never used Fitbit nor strava so I'm not best placed to comment.........

......but Fitbit has it's own site doesn't it ? What does that say when you look in there ?

Another option from the Fitbit site is I think you can export a TCX file - you could try that and importing it into Fetch ( rather than the strava file )
Aug 2016
11:02pm, 18 Aug 2016
12,051 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Did you stop the Fitbit, and restart it at a different place? I've found similar with my gps watch. If I stop and forget to restart straight away, my watch and my app download show the correct distance, but the resulting gps file (which I then download to Fetch) would fill in the "missing" part and thus read long.
Aug 2016
6:29am, 19 Aug 2016
6 posts
  •  
bgillam001
Thanks for your comments so far.

On the fitbit site, it registers 30.04km.
fitbit.com
There is an automatic sync from fitbit to strava hence I can understand these being the same.

I didn't stop the watch at any point, but it's a good point and I wonder whether the GPS was lost at some point, so the fitbit only recorded the distance while GPS was connected, but Fetch filled in the missing section.
Aug 2016
3:53pm, 19 Aug 2016
12,058 posts
  •  
Dvorak
If you spot an unexpected straight line on your route, that could be it (signal loss). Though just 500m could be hard to spot (unless it has you going for a swim, say).

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by bgillam
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I am hoping some expert no GPS can help m...