Strange news articles

8 watchers
Aug 2023
2:32pm, 9 Aug 2023
25,672 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I suspect it's because the reporter doesn't live a healthy lifestyle themselves so it vindicates their binge-drinking, sloth-like, burger and pizza scoffing* lifestyle

*I'm making a big assumption with this generalised, stereotypical judgement
Aug 2023
2:41pm, 9 Aug 2023
3,132 posts
  •  
paulcook
But the headline turns it into, "You can do 4,000 less steps than the old recommendation of 10,000 per day...". Why is it that the news seems to take joy in pointing out that things that are good for you aren't necessary - walking, cycling, eating better, less alcohol, less sugar, fewer processed foods and additives etc.?

I can't vouch for what happens at the BBC especially as online has changed journalism, but from my experience journalists didn't write headlines. To an extent that I regularly saw factually incorrect headlines because subeditors hadn't even read the stories.
Aug 2023
3:35pm, 9 Aug 2023
3,133 posts
  •  
paulcook
Whereas this version definitely seems to be written by a lazy person.

theguardian.com
Aug 2023
4:41pm, 9 Aug 2023
47,476 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Totally understand the headline might be mangled by an attention-seeking subbie or editor paul, agree. Those are the ones I'm complaining about really. Esp on the radio, the sort of smug, tailpiece type voice that the news reader used as if to say "see, all you fitness freaks, we can be healthy as you just by walking to the fridge occasionally". Err, actually no! :-) G
Aug 2023
8:24pm, 9 Aug 2023
23,744 posts
  •  
Meglet
BBC headlines are weird. I often have to read the story to understand the headline. They sometimes use odd phrases or orders of words. Of course that’s the point, you have to click on the story.
Aug 2023
8:47pm, 9 Aug 2023
3,135 posts
  •  
paulcook
Indeed. Clickbait headlines. I watched an interesting video about clickbait particularly in relation to YouTube so it applied to thumbnails as well as headlines but quite often content creators have various options to change either or both and can see how the changes get more clicks. Unfortunately all websites will need to adopt different versions of clickbaitery.
Oct 2023
3:26pm, 11 Oct 2023
48,057 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Another one that annoys me

metro.co.uk

"... unexpected heart attack ... while jogging..." Inevitable comments from uninformed public who possibly didn't read whole article. "Running is bad for you" etc.

Had a stent fitted, which cause a clot to detach, causing embolism and hence "heart attack while jogging". Not heart attack because of running.

Just gets my goat. And on serious point, people avoid exercise because this sort of misleading article reinforces their ignorance that activity is bad for you, or at best, not good for you. Grrr.
Oct 2023
3:45pm, 11 Oct 2023
112,476 posts
  •  
Hanneke
That first article: for many years my neighbours took it upon themselves to cut my native hedge and the "grass" on my verge. Not grass, wildflowers, and I cut my hedge for wildlife i.e. not every year but half of it every other year.
They really threw a tantrum when a tree surgeon friend cut my hedge down to about one metre and someone with a digger moved it.
I then created more wildflowers on my entrance banks. I created an entrance by moving the hedge... It got totally out of control, so the police had to be called. It didn't make the papers but they way in which they tried to kill and hack back my garden was insane: they also sprayed systemic weedkiller through the fence, trying to kill my roses, red currants and recently planted native hedge at the back of my half acre.
I'd rather have someone do a neat job but still...
Oct 2023
3:45pm, 11 Oct 2023
112,477 posts
  •  
Hanneke
And yes: exercise is bad articles seriously annoy me!
Oct 2023
3:51pm, 11 Oct 2023
112,478 posts
  •  
Hanneke
That Guardian article is actually funny and the journalist is definitely making fun of it.
I never count my steps. That is just part of the absolute minimum you move to live. I did however once Garmin my gardening day and was shocked to find after a full 7 hour day I had walked 12.8 kms!!! Including 4.8 kms of pushing a lawnmower!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by GimmeMedals
A thread to share unusual news items