Stour Valley Path 100km Ultra Run

15 watchers
Aug 2014
5:07pm, 26 Aug 2014
30,632 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Thanks :) I shall keep my eyes open, much depends on another race calendar and whether I can stay unbroken :)
Aug 2014
2:10pm, 27 Aug 2014
2,058 posts
  •  
AdminLiz
Although I have done a couple of 24 hour events and have covered more than the 100KM, and have a couple more 24 hour ones coming up....it's a different kettle of fish when doing a point to point...so unless something comes up before this, which I doubt, this will be (was supposed to be this year) my first "real" 100KM Ultra
Aug 2014
2:13pm, 27 Aug 2014
14,671 posts
  •  
hellen
I don't do much of road but when I saw pictures of the check points was quite tempted
Aug 2014
11:23am, 30 Aug 2014
26,010 posts
  •  
Frobester
I was due to do this one this year, but the wheels fell off in April and I suffered some reasonably bad tendonitis. I ran parkrun today, got round without stopping, first time I've really run since the end of April. My training buddy went ahead and did it without me - I drove him to it and sent him off on his way with a good luck hug, he raised over £2k for Parkinson's, I felt really sad having to leave him there but there was no way I was running a metre, let alone 100,000 of them.
But. From what I saw, and read, I will definitely enter this one next year, even if it's the only race I do all year. I reckon between now and then I have time to get back in the saddle properly!!
Sep 2014
10:38am, 16 Sep 2014
49 posts
  •  
matthearne
Nice to read all the comments and feedback. There are links to a number of blogs on our website (see bottom of page) if people are keen to read about the experiences of other runners.

Entry to the 2015 event is now open and we already have 20 runners signed up: svp100.co.uk

It's certainly a tough challenge, as highlighted by the 2 UTMB points associated with the route. However, the scenery is stunning, and most of the runners seemed to really enjoy the event this year.
Jul 2015
10:30pm, 15 Jul 2015
7,226 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Some questions for all those who have done this (or the organisers). How well is the course marked? Is it easy to go wrong and what sort of skill in map-reading is necessary?
I'm studying the route and will get an experienced friend to give me a crash course in reading OS maps but I want to be as confident as possible that I won't get hopelessly lost.
I have getting-lost-paranoia even on well marked road courses and although I've done trail ultras, they were ridiculously easy to follow. I suspect this will be lots harder.
Jul 2015
11:03pm, 15 Jul 2015
4,454 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
The course is very well marked on just the waymarker posts and I think there are also route maps/instructions that you can download from Suffolk county council (or perhaps a specific Stour Valley Path) website. Although it would be advisable to carry the map (probably mandatory I imagine) you shouldn't need to follow it all the way.

If you do keep the map open though stick on the dotted footpath that is next to a big blue line (unless you've taken a wrong turn at the start and find yourself following the M11 rather than the river) ;-)

Were you at the run this evening Carp - looked for you but I got there quite late so may have missed you
Jul 2015
12:51am, 16 Jul 2015
7,227 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Nope, I can't always make the trail runs although hope to do the next one. Let me know when you're next doing one and I'll aim to arrive at about the same time.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by matthearne
Not sure whether I'm allowed to tell people about my own race on here, but here goes anyway...

J...