Stomach problems

5 watchers
Mar 2016
8:06am, 18 Mar 2016
9,923 posts
  •  
Sombrero
For a month now, I've been having stomach problems on nearly every run. Thankfully I mainly run off road so it's easy to nip behind a bush and have a number two.

I've had blood tests and done a poop sample, but the only thing that came back was that I have a vit D deficiency so I'm now taking a weekly dose of that to top me up.

I've got a 20 miler this weekend and I want to make sure I don't have to go while I'm running it. Does anyone take anything to stop them pooping? I'll nip to the chemists tomorrow to get advice but wanted to see if anyone else has overcome this.

I lasted 5 minutes on this morning's run before I had to go and it's getting really frustrating.
Mar 2016
9:34am, 18 Mar 2016
7,226 posts
  •  
simbil
Lots of Traithletes I know take Imodium before a race to put a stop to all that for a while.

If your issues are more all the time than just race related, I think you should take medical advice on it though - good luck.
Mar 2016
9:34am, 18 Mar 2016
8,133 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I've had phases of this and it's really annoying - I know every friendly pub, hotel, cafe etc that will let me nip into the Ladies mid run, and that '5 minutes in' sensation is one I am very familiar with. The only thing that has ended up working for me is a careful rotation of what I eat for breakfast. I realised that I had a habit of eating the same thing every day. I now make a point of eating toast - with different toppings, a couple of types of cereal, porridge, fruit juice etc in a rota, and try never to eat the same thing two days in a row. It has worked for me. I have also reduced the amount of higher fibre stuff I was eating - we went back to white bread (to Mr AL's joy!).
Mar 2016
9:37am, 18 Mar 2016
202 posts
  •  
Oranj
I had a bit of a problem with this following an increase in mileage for the Country-to-Capital. "Boots Diarrhoea Relief Capsules" sorted it out - I think I had 2 the day before and 2 on the morning of the race. (I tried the melt-in-the mouth style tablets but they didn't do anything other than leaving a chalky aftertaste.)
Mar 2016
10:20am, 18 Mar 2016
9,925 posts
  •  
Sombrero
Cheers. I shall definitely take something. I'm due to go back to the docs in a couple of weeks if it still hasn't cleared up.
Mar 2016
10:29am, 18 Mar 2016
2,394 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
I shall be watching this thread with interest as this '5 minute in' issue is currently pushing me to the point of giving up running! :(
I too have had all the tests and there is nothing physically wrong and I can find no connection with what I'm eating and Imodium has no effect. My GP has only yesterday suggested I see a sports psychologist which I may well do as I am certainly getting stressed about it and probably making matters worse.
Mar 2016
10:32am, 18 Mar 2016
22,519 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Stupid questions time: what would happen if for the first 5-10 mins you were to treat this as a warm up and run close to home? Once the 'urge' strikes and you have done the necessaries, is the tank empty? Or would you still get problems when you start the run proper?
Mar 2016
10:42am, 18 Mar 2016
2,395 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
Not stupid at all McG. No set pattern, sometimes I'm fine and can carry on but others I basically just have to run from loo to loo or until I give up!
Mar 2016
10:47am, 18 Mar 2016
8,134 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I've done that McG - either close to home or knowing that there is a loo available - a lot of my routes take me past a garden centre at about 3/4 mile and I used to resign myself to stopping. At its worst, I have had to stop more than once - but that hasn't happened for ages. There was a really good article in RW a few issues back about the importance of mixing the diet to promote a healthy mix of gut bacteria. It made a lot of sense to me - I had tried eliminating things that I thought were the problem - bread, yeast, dairy - the dietician who wrote this piece urged against that without medical advice and support, and suggested that in many cases it makes the problem worse. It was this that made me switch approaches and I have only rarely had a problem since. If I do, it tends to be the day after a day when my food intake has been a bit strange - for example a big lunch, not much of an evening meal - that kind of thing.
Mar 2016
11:17am, 18 Mar 2016
2,396 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
AL so do you just basically eat a healthy diet and not eat the same things two days in a row?

About This Thread

Maintained by Sombrero
For a month now, I've been having stomach problems on nearly every run. Thankfully I mainly run off...