Stockholm Half Marathon

2 watchers
Nov 2011
9:19am, 7 Nov 2011
107 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
That's a ton of help, thankyou. Sounds like a great course for a bit of sight-seeing to take my mind off the distance! As you say, I know it won't be cheap so I have plenty of time to save so I can make the most out of the trip. Some accomodation tips would be very helpful. It's going to be tricky to sort out what exact nights I need to book up, as until work decides if I am flying in to Stockholm with them or flying out, I don't know which nights I'll be staying, but it would be good to know which places I should be looking at.

The training shirt arrived over the weekend, made me excited even though it's months away yet!
Nov 2011
8:02am, 9 Nov 2011
22 posts
  •  
TheSteppenwolf
There are quite a few decent hotels within easy walking distance of the start/finish area. I stayed at the Scandic Continental this year which is just next to the train/bus station. I booked it through WWTE which is a travel partner of SAS. You could also search through some of the on line booking agencies like easytobook.com If you set a filter for Central/Old Town/Station you will get those hotels near to the start. Because it's ten months until you travel you are likely to have plenty of choice. I usually book three nights away for an overseas race: travel on day one; relax/attend expo/collect number and chip on day two; race day three; then travel home on day four - but that's just my preference. I think a day taking it easy prior to the race is a good idea though.

Another good investment is to get a 48 or 72 hour travel pass for the metro which means you can do lots of sightseeing without getting exhausted before the the race! By the way, there is a fast train from the airport to the centre of Stockholm but this is relatively expensive (about £45 return). The airport buses are much cheaper: about £20 return and it's possible to book on line and print your ticket before you go.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask about anything else.
Nov 2011
11:24am, 9 Nov 2011
113 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
That's excellent, thanks very much. Not sure what WWTE or SAS stand for but i will investigate and will certainly track down the travel pass. Whenever I go travelling I always look for some kind of pass as I know once i have that i don't have to worry about money for buses etc. makes things much less stressful.

I have the same mindset as you in terms of the number of nights to stay. Unfortunately it is sligtly out of my hands as I need work to confirm when our seminar is. If it is the week before the race, I will be flying into Stockholm on the Friday, if it is the week after then it will work better as I will be flying out of Stockholm on the Monday 9and can therefore fly to the city on the previous thurdsay, leaving plenty of time for sightseeing and relaxing pre-race!)

Thanks for the filter tips as well, will make things much easier to book now I know the names of the areas that are close by :-)
Nov 2011
8:08am, 10 Nov 2011
23 posts
  •  
TheSteppenwolf
Pleased to have been of assistance. SAS is Scandinavian Airline Systems who fly to Stockholm from Heathrow and Manchester. There are also plenty of British Airways flights. One of the budget airlines also flies there (Ryanair I think) but to another airport which is about an hour away from Stockholm. Quite frankly the SAS flights were such good value - £103 return from Heathrow - that I didn't even look at the budget airlines. Have a look at the SAS website where this a link to their travel partner, WWTE.
Nov 2011
9:26am, 10 Nov 2011
114 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I am looking at SAS details right now, thanks :-)
Jan 2012
2:43pm, 25 Jan 2012
246 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Annoyingly, work have completly changed the dates of my trip, so am now going to need to need flights/accomodation for the whole thing. Guess I shouldn't complain, just that this has become a bit more expensive now and the main reason for choosing this race was that it was a pretty cheap deal overall :-(
Jan 2012
9:54am, 31 Jan 2012
271 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
All booked :-)

Fly out on the Thursday afternoon, come back Sunday evening. Turns out BA were the same price pretty much as the low-cost airlines, once baggage was factored in, so went for them. Booked into connecthotel.se for the duration. No window in the room, but it was the only place I could find that had pretty decent reviews on Tripadvisor, and didn't cost silly money.

Now just need to train. Eek.
Apr 2012
10:23am, 3 Apr 2012
24 posts
  •  
TheSteppenwolf
Booked my flight as SAS had a sale on this week. I won't actually enter the race until Sunday, after I have a time from a HM I'm running to include in the entry details. Accommodation can be sorted over the coming weeks. Lots available but, as you say, some of it is very expensive.
Apr 2012
10:37am, 3 Apr 2012
596 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Yay, another runner :-)

Yes, the actual amount of rooms around isn't a problem, just the cost of them. I think I did OK though. Not going to be my cheapest race everbut on the other hand I get to see a city I have never seen before, and turn it into a mini holiday (aside from the inevitable limping the day after the race!)
Apr 2012
12:47pm, 11 Apr 2012
25 posts
  •  
TheSteppenwolf
I have entered the race now, following Sunday's HM. This is my third time!

Just the accommodation to sort out over the next week or so.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
Greetings one and all :-)

I was just posting this to see if anyone here has experience of running...