Stockholm Half Marathon

2 watchers
Oct 2011
3:13pm, 12 Oct 2011
60 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Greetings one and all :-)

I was just posting this to see if anyone here has experience of running the annual half-marathon in Stockholm. It's not until next September, but for reasons that are too dul to go into I will be able to get a flight over there paid for by my workplace. As I have always wanted to visit Stockholm, and I intend to run that distance for the first time in 2012 (currently only running 10k races), a friend pointed out that this seemed a glaringly obvious thing to do.

I would assume that the course would be relatively easy for a beginner. Though I'm basing this on absolutely no evidence other than whenever I see races through cities they seem to be fairly flat! And the website says it is a "fast course", which I assume means a PB course which I again assume would mean the terrain itself is OK for someone running this distance for the first time.

I'm not really sure what responses I'm expecting here, I'm just rambling, but if anyone has any experience of the race I would love to see/hear details :-)
Oct 2011
3:18pm, 12 Oct 2011
15,563 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
Nowt like being prepared ;-)

Not sure of the route but the marathon route is mostly flat with the odd climb over a bridge. plenty of time to be ship shape by then.
Oct 2011
4:22pm, 12 Oct 2011
61 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Hah, it is slightly early yeah! Just need a challange for next year and if I book this, it'll motivate me through the winter and also get me to find a 10-miler for early spring.

Sounds like the route will be OK then, thanks for the feedback :-)
Oct 2011
5:49pm, 12 Oct 2011
10 posts
  •  
hgreav
I did it this year!
I got a PB on it but to be fair I hadn't run a HM since my pre-baby days. It's mostly flat, well organised, scenic and Stockholm (where I spend at least a month of each year) is a fab place!
Feel free to ask me anything, though my memory may be a bit hazy already!
Oct 2011
9:07am, 13 Oct 2011
62 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Well that's the kind of feedback I like! I was talking to a friend last night who seems up for this as well. Guess I just really wanted to know if it was a particularly demanding course. Now I know I can just concentrate on being able to run that distance, rather than run that distance nad be able to tackle various hills! I am sure there will be more questions as I look for places to stay, and where the start area is etc, so no doubt I'll be bumping this thread soon enough ;-)
Oct 2011
11:43am, 28 Oct 2011
89 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Well I've been paid and have signed up for this. So if anyone else decides to give it a go then feel free to post in here :-) I am already 90% sure that my friend who claimed she was coming along to, will chicken out!
Oct 2011
11:55am, 28 Oct 2011
15,681 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
Start saving for that post run beer - about a million euros a pop ;-)
Oct 2011
12:01pm, 28 Oct 2011
90 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Yep, this isn't going to be the cheapest thing I have ever done! Might see if I can pay for the beer in monthly installments ;-)
Oct 2011
12:24pm, 28 Oct 2011
8,857 posts
  •  
LeGreg - 23% Ginger, 77% Fred
I know nothing about thehalf marathon, but Stockholm itself is a fab place. Loads to do as a tourist.
Nov 2011
6:52pm, 5 Nov 2011
21 posts
  •  
TheSteppenwolf
I ran the Stockholm HM this year and in 2010.

It's brilliantly organised - they even have safe deposit boxes available for valuables in addition to the usual baggage storage area. It's worth bearing in mind that the race (like the full marathon) starts at 4.00 pm which means that preparation need a little extra thought. Also, the race starts in seeded waves which helps to ease congestion during the early part of the race. When registering you have to state your recent times for certain races (10K, HM) and the organisers base your start group on these

As for the course itself, I wouldn't say it was fast and flat but neither is it difficult. There is a slight incline for the first three or four miles (which also includes a fairly lengthy spell running through a road tunnel). Then there are some great stretches through the centre of Stockholm, the old town and alongside the water. After about 10 miles there is a another sharper and longer incline through a park and the southern district of the city (Soedermalm). From about 12 miles it's a welcome downhill then flat to the finish. For a HM spectator support is pretty good, especially in the central areas.

As others have said, Stockholm is a great place to visit. Yes, it is on the expensive side but if you are aware of this in advance it shouldn't come as a massive shock.

Hope this is helpful. If you want any further detail - places to stay, getting about - let me know.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
Greetings one and all :-)

I was just posting this to see if anyone here has experience of running...