Stiff right ankle/lower outer leg....advice please

2 watchers
Mar 2012
10:32pm, 22 Mar 2012
545 posts
  •  
icklevee
Left leg probs again.

My left ankle has been feeling really stiff on the last few runs. It feels like the ankle is not moving/rotating like it should, and then after a short while the outer lower leg (no idea what muscle is called) gets stiff/feels like the muscle isn't flexing.

I don't know why, whether its linked to previous calf injury, or caused by something else. I've been for a sports massage but not noticed any difference.

Can anybody recommend what course of action is required and what sort of stretches may help?

Many thanks
Mar 2012
3:31pm, 23 Mar 2012
546 posts
  •  
icklevee
After googling symptoms, think it may be Anterior Compartment Syndrome but can't find any info on stretches etc to do.

Any ideas? Thanks
Mar 2012
6:54pm, 23 Mar 2012
2,743 posts
  •  
adrianb1066
Boing for the evening crowd.
Apr 2012
7:38am, 3 Apr 2012
5,477 posts
  •  
richmac
Rethe stretches my fizz recomended, that I find the nobbly bit on the outside just below the knee, pull upwards just below that and turn you foot down ward and inwards at the same time.
Apr 2012
7:55am, 3 Apr 2012
20,998 posts
  •  
cabletow
In order to be helpful we need to know where it hurts exactly. Can you post a pix of you pointing to the tender spot.
Apr 2012
11:46pm, 3 Apr 2012
550 posts
  •  
icklevee
I'll have a go at that stretch Richmac, cheers. I thought it was behaving after Sunday's 10miler, but today it played up again on a slightly pacier but shorter run.

I'm a bit camera-phobic and I would most likely blind everyone with my milk bottle legs.

After googling the area that feels uncomfortable seems to be the Extensor digitorum longus, if that helps indicate which bit :-)
Apr 2012
11:46pm, 3 Apr 2012
551 posts
  •  
icklevee
I'll have a go at that stretch Richmac, cheers. I thought it was behaving after Sunday's 10miler, but today it played up again on a slightly pacier but shorter run.

I'm a bit camera-phobic and I would most likely blind everyone with my milk bottle legs.

After googling the area that feels uncomfortable seems to be the Extensor digitorum longus, if that helps indicate which bit :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by icklevee
Left leg probs again.

My left ankle has been feeling really stiff on the last few runs. It feels ...