Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Starting training again after Covid-19

13 watchers
4 Jun
8:40pm, 4 Jun 2021
4301 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Hello! I was ill in March 2020. I was on a school residential and to begin with was just surprised that I couldn't smell the sick on the coach although I was depressed when I couldn't taste my evening meal. The next day I was breathless climbing the cliff steps up from Boggle Hole to the Cleveland Way to get to Robin Hood's Bay. I have never been so laid back on a trip before as it was too much effort to do anything else - luckily everyone else had cancelled so we had the youth hostel to ourselves and didn't need to worry too much.

For several weeks afterwards I was generally out of it and had headaches, a sore throat, palpitations, conjunctivitis and a fearsome ear ache. I was left with hearing loss and tinnitus. For most of last year, work was more than enough for me to cope with - the constant changes and teaching live lessons online was hard - and all I did was meet a friend to run a few very slow miles once a week for the company and ride the horse (she is old and slow) but this year I have tried to get back into doing more regular exercise. The trouble is, I kind of can't. I have no strength or energy and my lungs feel weird when I exert myself. Walking uphill leaves me completely breathless even though I can do quite a number of miles on the flat, and open water swimming feels so strange. I don't know whether to keep trying in the hope that it improves or accept that this is it and stop bothering.
20 Jun
4:22pm, 20 Jun 2021
28 posts
  •  
Slantendicular
So sorry to hear about that Cyclops. I hope you are feeling recovered soon.

Fortunately (for me at least) the fatigue seems to have gone since 4-6 weeks after Covid. I'd def recommend going back to C25k, even though it's frustrating, although I realise for many who've shared on this thread, even a short walk is out of the question.

By the way, after both vaccines (Astra Zeneca, April and June) I've had bad reactions, and I was laid out with exhaustion for several days afterwards. Side effects are apparently if you've had the nasty disease.

Although it won't help us individually (yet) Nottingham uni are asking for runners to log their experiences of Covid on their "Running through" project.

runningthrough.org
20 Jun
4:32pm, 20 Jun 2021
29 posts
  •  
Slantendicular
I noticed that the Nottingham uni have posted a link to an interesting article on

Post-COVID-19 Syndrome and the Potential Benefits of Exercise

mdpi.com
9 Sep
9:41pm, 9 Sep 2021
1731 posts
  •  
Longwayround [LWR]
I’ve been on the Nuffield Health COVID-19 rehab course for seven weeks now. It’s helpful to meet others who have experienced similar difficulties although my main issue now seems to be chronic fatigue. I can feel great when doing a gym session and great a day afterwards.

Two or three days later however, I can feel like the flu has struck me as every nerve ending in my body yells at me. It takes a heck of a lot of mental strength to plough on!

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Slantendicular
Lying in bed after a positive Covid test last week I'm (hopefully) on the mend. I caught this ...