starting from scratch (zero miles in the past 12+months)

5 watchers
Jan 2014
10:39am, 13 Jan 2014
5 posts
  •  
Rexxiii
i was planning on starting with a couple of mile just to see how unfit i am now, have had some knee trouble and its at the forfront of my mind, i know that i need to get out and test it but itheres a massive mental block.

its not sore if i dont run and it scares me that when i start again ill be back to square one!!
Jan 2014
11:47am, 13 Jan 2014
4,216 posts
  •  
Duchess
Then don't start with a couple of miles - most of us did 100yards and thought we were going to die - but plan on something a bit shorter. Does it hurt when you walk a couple of miles? If not, plan a 20 minute route of a walk, and just throw in the odd "run to that lamppost" or " run for the count of 30" a few times, see how it feels at the time, and see how it feels the next day.

The sooner you try it, the sooner you'll know....
Jan 2014
12:20pm, 13 Jan 2014
3,810 posts
  •  
Jon_T
Rexxiii, I had my 4th knee op last May, so I can understand your apprehension, start off with a few long walks, then maybe walk/jog/walk and gradually build up. Don't do too much too soon, rest for a day or two after each session to make sure you give it the best chance to recover.

This is all the stuff my physio told me after surgery, needless to say I took very little of it on board which is why I think I have been out injured so often in the past 4 months.
Jan 2014
12:37pm, 13 Jan 2014
9 posts
  •  
Rexxiii
Jon T, do you wear a knee brace/support?
ive got one that not too robust,bit worried that i might become deoendant on it !
Jan 2014
9:26am, 14 Jan 2014
13 posts
  •  
Rexxiii
ok, morning all i got my first run out the way last night and other than my muscles feeling a little sore the knee feels fine, only did a couple of mile and did walk a couple of times but it's a start and im feeling positve about getting back into running a lot more than i was :)
Jan 2014
8:46pm, 14 Jan 2014
446 posts
  •  
Toadie
Great news! Walking breaks are definitely the way forward when you're getting back into things, I think. I'm going out again tomorrow morning for some run-walk - been doing 18-hour shifts the last couple of days so no time...
Jan 2014
12:32pm, 16 Jan 2014
18 posts
  •  
Rexxiii
legs are still a little sore from monday but planning a to go out again tonight, no adverse knee pain so that's the biggest worry off my mind.
Toadie- 18 hour shifts !!! dont envy you having to do that, and even more so trying to find the time to fit in training as well.
Jan 2014
2:12pm, 20 Jan 2014
449 posts
  •  
Toadie
Ah they have died down now and I got out on a nice fresh and frosty trot this morning, half an hour with two walk breaks. Building it up! Glad your knee is behaving itself for now.
Jan 2014
2:18pm, 20 Jan 2014
28 posts
  •  
Rexxiii
Well so far so good, three runs no pain (touch wood), i have managed to get round without stopping for a walk break, and at a pretty consistant speed, couple more runs at this distance then its time to step it up by a mile.
good to hear your,e able to get out now, keep up the good work!
Jan 2014
2:44pm, 20 Jan 2014
3,903 posts
  •  
Jon_T
Sorry, not been keeping up on this. No I don't wear a knee support, the best ones are too restrictive. I used to tape up below the knee when I played rugby, the patela tendon strapping, but that was more for psychological support than anything else. I have found that doing quad specific exercise to build up muscles has helped. Cycling is good as well.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi im back on fetch after a while away for various reasons and wanting to get back into running/jogg...