Star Trek - to boldly go..

28 watchers
Apr 2022
9:40am, 26 Apr 2022
18,039 posts
  •  
3M (aka MarkyMarkMark)
I'm still enjoying Picard on the basis it's at least a reasonably well thought out if slightly hackneyed plot line - team from Future must ensure their Past remains unaltered to ensure the survival of their own Present. And everything feels very paradoxical if you do or don't change anything!

I must admit Jurati + Borg Queen makes for a much more interesting character!

Do we think Series 3 will end with Picard crashing an Enterprise (not sure which letter their up to now!) into a star in an a galaxy saving sort of way? Or will he just sit back in the vineyard and actually stay retired? ;-)
Apr 2022
9:51am, 26 Apr 2022
21,478 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
Time travel hey, always a problem. If the Future has to go back and change the past then surely they failed first time around. Or if the Future goes back to fix the past then maybe time gets stuck in a loop and time ends when the future goes back to the past. And what if the past learns from the future how to time travel, and the past goes in the future to stop the future coming back to the past, or even the past goes to the future to stop the dude who invented time travel - however by then he would not have invented time travel as it was already invented in the past. Or maybe its all jolly good BS.
Apr 2022
9:54am, 26 Apr 2022
21,479 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
I do not have an Amazon subscription but did have the free trial. The 1st season of Picard was like proper Star Trek. However, Lower Decks was far superior.
Apr 2022
11:50am, 26 Apr 2022
27,068 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I'm at about episode 7 of S2 and we are in deep flashback/psychoanalytic territory which feels very baggy and saggy and impetus is being lost to lots of wiffle about Picard's childhood. Plus we have BSG style imaginary character waffling in Agnes' ear.

But Agnes is still good and my least fave char is dedded (good, but I suspect it's temporary). Some fairly in your face political speechifying from Guinen which I quite liked. I think the space battles in ST are also quite pedestrian but that might just be me. I'll stick with it.
Apr 2022
12:21pm, 26 Apr 2022
271 posts
  •  
AJLB
Probably late to the party with this, but I'm currently watching "The Center Seat" on Amazon. Lots of familiar Trek history, but some interesting stuff, including fresh lows for Gene Roddenbury.
Apr 2022
11:30am, 29 Apr 2022
141 posts
  •  
roflaherty
Nope, not late AJLB, it was quietly added and people seem to be stumbling upon it (I'm sure the fact Picard is on Prime is why I got recommended it on my Fire Stick).

Not overly fond of the style, and it gets very strange the couple of episodes. Nice insights though and worth a watch!
May 2022
8:27am, 6 May 2022
142 posts
  •  
roflaherty
Paramount+ to launch in UK and Ireland on June 22... just in time for the last three episodes of Strange New Worlds - and then a summer off of episodes!
May 2022
9:23am, 6 May 2022
2,178 posts
  •  
monsenb1
We will get SNW from the beginning, but will it be released to us weekly or all at the same time until we catch-up..
May 2022
9:31am, 6 May 2022
2,179 posts
  •  
monsenb1
SNW premiered in the US last night, and by all accounts quite decent Trek.. back to a white, straight all-american male captain though, and still those rightwing fans ('NuTrek' haters) are losing their heads that a black actor has been cast as Admiral Robert T April..
May 2022
11:00am, 6 May 2022
16,986 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
If you have Amazon Prime, there's "The Centre Seat" on freevee which should be "free with ads" to Prime people.

Basically a complete history of Star Trek with some bits I didn't know.

Quite a bit on Roddenberry's struggle to retain control of Star Trek which was interesting and how that led to the dire 1st series of TNG.

About This Thread

Anyone watching Star Trek: Picard?
What an amazing episode the most recent one was!
Also thoughts ...