Star Trek - to boldly go..

28 watchers
Feb 2021
2:44pm, 5 Feb 2021
219 posts
  •  
AJLB
And I didn't even need to look it up! (radiating Riker-levels of smugness)
Feb 2021
10:21am, 17 Feb 2021
2,063 posts
  •  
Groundhog
Just started with ST Discovery - I'm enjoying it so far. They just released the giant tardigrade. It seems to get generally positive reviews outside of this forum. Or am I reading people's opinions here wrong?
Feb 2021
10:28am, 17 Feb 2021
13,891 posts
  •  
Homer
I liked it initially but kinda lost interest as I felt it became a bit more 'Marvel' and a bit less 'Trek', though I may be being unfair
Feb 2021
11:27am, 17 Feb 2021
1,531 posts
  •  
Love Lettuce
I've watched all 3 seasons and have generally enjoyed it, although I lost enthusiasm about Season 3 towards the end. Forgetting that it's Star Trek and just treating it as a space opera helped me enjoy it on its own terms. I'm more excited about the Pike and Georgieu spin-offs than season 4 of Discovery though.

My criticism of it is that it turns personal dramas into events of galactic significance, and I think I'd find them more engaging - and realistic - if the stakes were lower.
Feb 2021
11:35am, 17 Feb 2021
24,771 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
There is Too. Much. Hugging. This is supposed to be a ship of HM Star Fleet and hugging is Just. Unacceptable. Unprofessional.
Feb 2021
11:37am, 17 Feb 2021
927 posts
  •  
Non-runner
The Orville is more Star Trek than Star Trek. Yes I know I keep saying it๐Ÿ˜Š.
Feb 2021
11:48am, 17 Feb 2021
48,532 posts
  •  
McGoohan
What service/channel is that on?
Feb 2021
11:51am, 17 Feb 2021
13,565 posts
  •  
Badger
It's been quite divisive everywhere.

It's not much like the older series, and a lot of the things I don't like about it are things I didn't like about the JJ Abrams Trek movies as well (and JB's comment is one of them). But there are plenty of things I like about it as well and I'm most of the way through the third season. There's only one of the JJ movies I'd bother rewatching.

Some of the dislike for it (not speaking about this thread, but more widely) is just from it being very different from TOS, which isn't an issue for me, if I want to rewatch that I'll just do so, different productions from the same basic ideas are fine by me.

Divisive or no, it has been extremely successful and it has been the root of more televised Star Trek running simultaneously than I think ever before, with Discovery itself, Lower Decks, the upcoming Strange New Worlds, Picard, and another animated series whose name I forget.
I'm interested to see how SNW plays - the implication is that it will feel much more like TOS than anything else running at the moment.
PK
Feb 2021
12:25pm, 17 Feb 2021
786 posts
  •  
PK
I watched the first couple of seasons, but have stopped.

It's not for me.

(And I know what you mean about The Orville, NR. That , I like)
Feb 2021
1:05pm, 17 Feb 2021
13,892 posts
  •  
Homer
I did really Picard, but maybe I'm just biased to the more character based stuff

Never heard of the Orville

About This Thread

Anyone watching Star Trek: Picard?
What an amazing episode the most recent one was!
Also thoughts ...