Star Trek - to boldly go..

28 watchers
Sep 2020
12:26pm, 20 Sep 2020
11,645 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
That's only part of the problem with it Badger, there wasn't even internal consistency to itself at parts. And the battle was ridiculous. Not just tedious.

Enterprise got slated for arsing around with the continuinuity - wrongly in my opinion (The Borg incident apart) - but it was streets ahead of DISCO.

There's just no character development, it's just action with some characters thrown in.

And that stands opposed to the aforementioned Battlestar Galactica, which is all about the charcters and the setting was at times totally irrelevant!

The only exception to this was that I thought Anson Mount was excellent as Pike. Which bodes well for New Worlds.

S3 from DISCO will be just as terrible. I'm expecting an apocalyptic wasteland universe. Which would diverge from the continuity too (see: VOY: Relativity and that Enterprise episode where Daniels takes Archer to the future).

Re: Rogue One. It's not just the best Star Wars film in decades. It's the best Star Wars film. Full stop.

Back to Battlestar Galactica - the miniseries, Season 1 and Season 2 were excellent. Then it started to lose its way a bit - the miniseries (when I watched it through) weren't online and I could only watch dodgy versions of the The Resistance and you really need to watch these to understand bits of 3 & 4. Seasons 3 and 4 were still ok, in particular Razor, but the 2nd half of S4 with Starbuck etc just didn't work for me, neither did the ending (without adding any spoilers).
Sep 2020
1:53pm, 20 Sep 2020
12,795 posts
  •  
Badger
I’m not really feeling in the mood for arguing about Discovery (been dealing with conspiracy theorist morons on Twitter) so just going to say I like it more than you do.

Rogue One versus Empire for best Star Wars movie & I’d happily argue either side of that. But not in this thread maybe :)
Sep 2020
5:25pm, 20 Sep 2020
703 posts
  •  
Non-runner
No need to argue Badger, it’s just different people with different opinions and we all respect each other so it’s all cool😊. I agree with you on the Star Wars ranking though.
Sep 2020
7:37pm, 20 Sep 2020
12,796 posts
  •  
Badger
Yep, debating would have been a better word, just too burned out dealing with trolls to have a discussion with reasonable people 🙂
Sep 2020
7:46pm, 21 Sep 2020
1,464 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
wow, just googled ST discovery trolls !! who'd have guessed it would be so unpopular
Sep 2020
10:48pm, 22 Sep 2020
1,997 posts
  •  
monsenb1
All this dissing "NuTrek" is boring.. Shortcut Cam, DISCO *is* popular... there are just a lot of trolls out there. Of course there are flaws, fozzy and others higlighted a few, but not Trek is perfect.. I've enjoyed DISCO and Picard overall.. and I'm looking forward to S3 of DISCO...and to Strange New Worlds..
Sep 2020
11:03am, 25 Sep 2020
11,697 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Just watched the end of "the omega glory" of TOS (because it happened to be on whilst I had a cup of tea).

It's pretty bad...
Sep 2020
11:12am, 25 Sep 2020
12,820 posts
  •  
Badger
Good cup of tea ruined
Sep 2020
11:16am, 25 Sep 2020
11,698 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
TOS is weird, because some of the bad episodes are *really* bad, but the good episodes are good.

And it does get progressively worse as time goes on.

Whereas all the other series get better as they go.
Sep 2020
5:44pm, 25 Sep 2020
192 posts
  •  
AJLB
Yes, they were just going through the motions by the third season of TOS, and it is certainly the most uneven of the series - I wonder how much of it was due to (whisper it!) the hands on approach of Roddenberry - TNG got steadily better after his passing, and DS9 (my favourite) was widely regarded as the anti-Roddenberry Trek. No disrespect to the Great Bird intended!

About This Thread

Anyone watching Star Trek: Picard?
What an amazing episode the most recent one was!
Also thoughts ...