St Neots Riverside Half Marathon 2015

24 watchers
Nov 2015
11:42am, 18 Nov 2015
2,256 posts
  •  
Steampunk seratonin
It will be softer than a Waitrose receipt Fleecy :-)
Nov 2015
1:52pm, 18 Nov 2015
24,638 posts
  •  
F ing Fleecy
:)
Nov 2015
9:49am, 20 Nov 2015
16,171 posts
  •  
flanker
Interesting that the aim was a 'big race feel'. I think they succeeded in that. It's just a shame the reason we all love this race was that it felt like a proper 'local race, for runners, by runners'.

The t-shirt will do for dark night hi viz purposes, but it'll never get worn like the old long sleeve ones.

There were some pluses though. The new course is a big improvement. You don't have 15 minutes of getting frozen getting to and waiting at the start, and you, or at least 'I', don't get lost in a housing estate trying to find my way back to the sports hall at the end. Parking coped well with a lot of cars. Plenty of loos too.
Nov 2015
11:14am, 20 Nov 2015
31,505 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Trust me Flanker I get lost here too.

The start was better but what was wrong with the race so I can feed it back Flanks ?
Nov 2015
11:30am, 20 Nov 2015
20,029 posts
  •  
HellsBells
HOD for me the main things were the congestion in the sports centre caused by the bigger field and the slow registration process. I do think getting the shirt at the start is a good thing, especially as a back of the pack runner, but the room was too small to cope with the queues.
The shirt itself was a bit of a shock after the lovely long sleeve ones of previous years.
Only bananas at the finish - not much good if you don't like them. Again maybe a problem of managing expectations as there is no obligation for organisers to provide food at the finish, but having been used in previous years to there being crisps and sweets in the goody bags, a lot of us didn't bring anything.
The start and finish are vastly improved, though personally I don't like the music and the medal was awesome. The photos were good too
Hope that's not too many negatives and you feed back the positives as well :-)
Nov 2015
11:40am, 20 Nov 2015
31,509 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Yes it is balanced feedback.

I agree with most of this the registration was too packed not enough people on it. It was same sort of volume of people for the Tris
Nov 2015
11:39pm, 22 Nov 2015
16,173 posts
  •  
flanker
Pretty much agree with HB, apart from IMO the shirt should still be at the end, for finishers.

In a nutshell it could now be just any old race. It seems to have lost its individuality, and to some extent it's quirkiness. There's nothing actually wrong, it's just a different sort of event now, more of a typical money-making commercial race, which has far less appeal for me than the local running club small half.
Nov 2015
7:35am, 23 Nov 2015
31,512 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Bit like Ely 10k is now ?
Nov 2015
8:29am, 23 Nov 2015
15,750 posts
  •  
GlennR
Indeed HoD. Ely takes the precaution of getting a piper in to drive the crowds away.
Nov 2015
9:20am, 23 Nov 2015
16,175 posts
  •  
flanker
Yep. There a reason I do races like Ely 10k, Swavesey HM, Stamford 30k and not the Cambridge HM.

I'm sure other people much prefer the 'big event' which is fair enough, it's just not my thing.

About This Thread

Maintained by EarlyRiser
This years race will be on 15th November.

Entries open 6am 14th Feb.