St Neots Riverside Half-Marathon

14 watchers
Nov 2009
10:38pm, 15 Nov 2009
7,947 posts
  •  
Marathon Lads
St Neots HM in 1:55 - in relative comfort

My thanks to all those people who said hello today and chatted to us pre race , during , and post race, it’s difficult with Phil talking as I never know what his behaviour will bring , and of course my pre race preparation is so vital, talking during a run, I can talk all I like, as he’s on the move and content

So, We stood at front to the side to watch the runners set off, and then we joined in from the back, that was always the plan, and we enjoyed it

I’ve had a few weeks of gruelling running, FM’s and HM’s and when the going gets tough time wise sometimes , I keep asking myself, is there anything left in me race pace wise, so I knew today, I could test myself to a degree, and it was only to a degree, I never intended fully racing it full out

It was about me and my pride and proving to myself and

Conditions were perfect, and I had fully intended to treat this and run it quite comprehensively , clinically and methodically using little physcology and little effort as possible

I only really upped the pace 3 times in the whole run, ( not full out race pace ) just upped it a bit,

Miles 1 -2 , laughed and chatted and upped it a little, also held back to stop me racing off

A small struggle up the hill after 3 miles, pushed slightly along after 4 miles, a slight struggle up the other hill, then left along that main rd, upping it a little along 6 miles and maintained it really until about 8, then a slight struggle up through to 9, then onto the flat at 10 and then I upped things a bit through and beyond 11 to 12 and home

I felt great being in such control, and realising that Yes, I still have it , clocking a superb 1:55, which I was chuffed with

My power of concentration is really on my psychological mind games and my mental stamina, and not on my physical fitness

But I have no worries , HM’s are not a problem and we could have done a 20 miler today with an effort

Just need to keep myself relaxed for a few weeks, through our HM’s for Luton FM 3 lapper
Nov 2009
12:14am, 16 Nov 2009
11,335 posts
  •  
flanker
I enjoyed that. I had 3 aims today: sub1:45, sub1:42:24 for a PB and a stretch target of sub 1:40

Ended up with 1:38:39 and enjoyed every mile of it, feeling good all the way around. Absolutely amazed at it as I've never been sure I'd break 1:40, never mind 1:39. And with a shoelace tying stop of about 20 secs at mile 3 too.

maybe 1:35 next year?? *GULP*
Nov 2009
9:09am, 16 Nov 2009
4,149 posts
  •  
emjaybee
Photos here derekhaden.com
Nov 2009
9:55am, 16 Nov 2009
1,310 posts
  •  
Vindicator
Pictures of me looking focussed:

derekhaden.com
derekhaden.com

(and I did beat the guy next to me :-) )
Nov 2009
10:17am, 16 Nov 2009
6,866 posts
  •  
Sparkly Bridget
And ones of me looking smiley :-)

derekhaden.com
derekhaden.com
Nov 2009
10:39am, 16 Nov 2009
7,681 posts
  •  
hammerite
Mick - while you were stood to the side at the start of the race, you were chatting to my better half!

I had a similar experience to Flanker, aim 1 PB (1h 41 40 odd secs). Aim 2 Sub 1h 40. Aim 3 60% WAVA or better to stand a chance of getting our club Bronze award - still need to achieve 60% or better at 2 other distances.

Here's my pic, derekhaden.com why do I always look stationary and other look like they are flying?
Nov 2009
10:56am, 16 Nov 2009
4,276 posts
  •  
For My Light
Good to see you Mick n Phil, you was behind me just before the hill at about 8.5 miles, then passed me about 10.5 miles as I slowed with my thigh strain.

Shame I couldn't have been full fit as I was hoping for about 1:55

Well Done
Nov 2009
11:00am, 16 Nov 2009
4,151 posts
  •  
emjaybee
and more photo's from AprilRunners OH

flickr.com
Nov 2009
11:10am, 16 Nov 2009
1,311 posts
  •  
Vindicator
Good shots as always from AROH. Tried to stick to a Riverside Runner like glue to in the closing stages in an attempt to get in one of these shots - failed. Vicksta is 3/4 in one though...
Nov 2009
11:27am, 18 Nov 2009
11,345 posts
  •  
flanker
Just because we can't leave it on 899 posts.

See you next year :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Jigs