St Albans 1/2

1 watcher
Jun 2012
5:00pm, 1 Jun 2012
8,939 posts
  •  
Pootle
If it's coming our of your arse then you really should be worried ;-)
Jun 2012
3:10pm, 10 Jun 2012
148 posts
  •  
Fitz
Well organised event again, I thought. They could do with having water stations on both sides of the road, better t-shirts and something carby to munch on at the end, but otherwise I thought it was well done. Love the ice-lollies at the finish.
Jun 2012
5:22pm, 10 Jun 2012
6,558 posts
  •  
mulbs
Weren't the marshals fab Fitz? ;-)
Jun 2012
5:34pm, 10 Jun 2012
19,811 posts
  •  
Frobester
Marshals were ace. The frequency of the water stations was great too, since my water bottle decided to spring a leak from the start line, leaving me waterless at about 6 miles in.
Jun 2012
5:39pm, 10 Jun 2012
6,559 posts
  •  
mulbs
I did give a shout of Bedford as you went past Frobes, I gave Pootle a shout out too, I can honestly say I applauded every single runner and walker today - some needed it more than others. My marshalling group got told off by a posh lady in a big house for being too noisy, she asked us to stop cheering and whooping lol - didn't put us off.
Jun 2012
5:42pm, 10 Jun 2012
19,812 posts
  •  
Frobester
Oh thanks Mulbs, I love getting club namechecks. There were some excellent marshalls who tirelessly motivated everyone. Top marks! And the posh lady can take a running jump!
Jun 2012
11:09pm, 10 Jun 2012
First-time poster!!
  •  
RosRunner
Yes the marshals were excellent today, really helped - esp telling us when the latest blimmin' hill would end. Professionally organised race overall but then it's only my first HM, I've a lot to learn. Not a fan of the ice lolly thing, effort:nutrition ratio poor. I don't need to suck/lick after 13.1 miles, I need to breathe and take in carbs. I needed a banana big time, my body just expects one after a race. Nice t-shirt tho. Did the posh lady have a portaloo on her stripy lawn? Next year we shall crouch in her hedge for a wee... x
Jun 2012
11:14pm, 10 Jun 2012
3,927 posts
  •  
becca7
4th time I have done this race, always well organised and a nice route. You would have thought I would have it in my head by now where the hills are but I had forgotten, in particular how long the one at half way goes on for. The ice lollies are my favourite bit and the reason why I went back after having a tough race in the heat the first year I did it - I was so slow that they had run out by the time I had finished!

Welcome to Fetch RosRunner.
Jun 2012
7:22am, 11 Jun 2012
6,561 posts
  •  
mulbs
RosRunner - excellent first post! Welcome to Fetch you'll feel right at home :-)
Jun 2012
7:25am, 11 Jun 2012
8,951 posts
  •  
Pootle
I thought the marshalls were absolutly amazing, especially that Mulbs yelling at me about 6 miles in ;-)

Seriously though, several of them had their car radios on full blast so we had some music to run to, there were two ladies on *that* hill yelling that it ended just round the corner, one chap that was picking out something significant about every single runner that past him and shouting encouragment and probably lots more that I've forgotten.

Shame the runners couldn't be more considerate. I was elbowed in the head at the start by some stupid bitch who had just seen her family and decided it lift her arm up and do a full on wave despite the congestion in the first 1/2 mile or so, also next year do you think the organisers would give out little bottles of deodorant rather than t-shirts? There were in in inordinate amount of people around me that were in serious need, even at the start line!

About This Thread

Maintained by Pootle
I've asked this before, but can't find the thread for the life of me. Does anyone have the course...