Spread some love in 2017

16 watchers
Feb 2017
11:16am, 23 Feb 2017
3,149 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
If you have a suitable phone you might want to consider volunteering for this?

bemyeyes.org

Be My Eyes is an app that connects blind and visually impaired with sighted helpers from around the world via live video connection.

The blind person requests assistance in the app. This coukd be anything from knowing the expiry date on the milk to navigating new surroundings.
Feb 2017
12:53pm, 23 Feb 2017
12,889 posts
  •  
Doc Moye
That's interesting idea. Have you tried it ?
Feb 2017
1:21pm, 23 Feb 2017
3,151 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
I did but it wouldn't download to my phone :(
Feb 2017
1:26pm, 23 Feb 2017
3,152 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
It was this video that sparked my interest. So many things we all take for granted. bbc.co.uk
Mar 2017
10:23pm, 24 Mar 2017
4,718 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Finally saw the homeless chap today so I gave him the dog chews and Costa vouchers that have been lurking in my back since we got back.
Mar 2017
10:27pm, 24 Mar 2017
22,798 posts
  •  
halfpint
I'm glad you posted Wobbling. I was wondering about this thread.

Yesterday we were at the beach and met a lady with a lovely golden retriever. She commented that she forgot her dogs ball. I happened to have a spare in my pocket so gave it to her.
Mar 2017
6:59am, 25 Mar 2017
13,482 posts
  •  
Doc Moye
I saw an old lady yesterday struggling to pick up the litter that had got on to her front path so I cleared it for her
Mar 2017
1:18pm, 26 Mar 2017
8,562 posts
  •  
The Terminator
I have been stuck in Beijing. Long story but what was supposed to be a 6 day college trip with 26 students ended with 3 days with the group then me looking after a poorly student and trying to sort us visas for 16 days as the rest of the group continued with their travels and returned home. Was that spreading love? Feedback from the college and the students mum would suggest definitely, I just feel I was doing my job.

However after the group split, myself and the student were assigned a new guide as we were still allowed to travel in and round Beijing. After 3 days the young man who was guiding us basically took a phonecall​ in the middle of Beijing and without explanation just left us. After being slightly miffed a little digging by myself discovered that another client had complained about him so the phone call had been to tell him he was sacked 😓 He contacted me and was very upset that he had let me down and that he had lost his job not long after buying a home for him and his girlfriend and himself but offering his services free of charge whenever job hunting/interviews weren't taking up his time. Obviously now I needed to be in dialogue with his boss as I still needed a guide so made it quite clear that my guide had gone out of his way to help me and if I didn't get him back I would be making a complaint. Within 15 minutes he had phoned me, and he was so happy, to say he had been given his job back and had been assigned to me for the rest of my stay. On the last day he cried and said it was like losing his best friend and asked if I would mind him contacting me for life advice in the future. He really was a lovely young man, he always tried his best to please and although I fear for his job security in the future as he is a little haphazard and forgetful, I spent a lot of my time guiding him 😂 the whole experience made a testing trip worthwhile.
Mar 2017
1:53pm, 26 Mar 2017
22,805 posts
  •  
halfpint
I was going to post about picking litter all along the beach today but it seems a little inadequate now. You did two great things there. What an eventful trip.
Mar 2017
7:29pm, 26 Mar 2017
13,507 posts
  •  
Doc Moye
TT I often don't read long posts but yours was so worth reading. China is a funny place and life is often not easy for the ordinary man. I'm sure you will have made a huge difference to him. (Who else reckons MOTM?? TT has often just said the odd word or too that has really made me think. )

About This Thread

Do something nice for a stranger everyday in 2017. Tell us about it. Being nice is contagious. Get as many people as you know involved. Peace x

Group: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/groups-view.php?id=1249