Sprained ankle - recovery time?

1 watcher
Oct 2012
1:43pm, 15 Oct 2012
1,998 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
I went over hard on my ankle yesterday and it's swollen and red today. I can put weight on it and am managing to hobble around. I've RICEd as best as I can (tricky to ice at work) and have sent OH for compression bandages and ice packs for when I get home.

But I'm just wondering how long it might take to recover. I started today thinking it would be fine in a couple of days, but am now thinking that I may be unrealistic. I'd rather know, than to keep getting up to the unrealistic 'It'll be fine in the morning'.
Oct 2012
2:07pm, 15 Oct 2012
6,575 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
It's a piece of string question really - depends on how severe it is I suppose. I went over on my ankle in January with not much swelling / redness and it was actually broken! The ligaments etc... healed well, and I started running again 5 weeks later.

All you can do is judge for yourself, and if it's not getting better perhaps see a sports injury physio for an assessment. I hope it's not too long before you're up and about :)
Oct 2012
2:48pm, 15 Oct 2012
998 posts
  •  
WobblingTime
I agree with Mrs W; it really is a piece of string question. I went over on my ankle in August 2007 - on crutches for three weeks and then physio for another six weeks or so. I was running once the fizz signed me off. However, I did the same ankle exactly six months later and couldn't run for almost three months.

Definitely wait until the swelling has subsided and you're walking without trouble before you start running. Once the swelling goes down you can perhaps look at some re-hab exercises, to stop your ankle stiffening.

Hope you get better soon.
Oct 2012
2:56pm, 15 Oct 2012
1,999 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Thanks. You've reset my expectations from ' I might be able to do my PT session on Thursday' to something more realistic. I just want to dunk it in an ice bucket right now. If the swelling doesn't go down by the end of the week, I'll go see my GP or physio.

I've been circling it and writing the alphabet today to try and keep it moving.
Oct 2012
3:20pm, 15 Oct 2012
625 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
Get to a physio if you can - make sure you're not doing any more harm. My hubby did his in June and although he's back running now he had 5 weeks rest and ultrasound and physio - still a bit sore now (he calls it sticky) - good luck! :-)
Oct 2012
9:32pm, 15 Oct 2012
1,944 posts
  •  
PeterWard5
I had an incredibly mild sprain in the build up to London last year and was running again after 3 weeks. But I was lucky as there was no joint instability and little tendon damage beyond bruising.
Oct 2012
9:33pm, 15 Oct 2012
1,945 posts
  •  
PeterWard5
So its a how long is a piece of string thing.
Oct 2012
9:41pm, 15 Oct 2012
2,002 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
I have to say it's feeling much better since I iced it and got a compression bandage on. So I'm a bit more hopeful. I'll see how the swelling goes down and maybe see my physio next week.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by TheScribbler
I went over hard on my ankle yesterday and it's swollen and red today. I can put weight on it and a...