Sports science research or policy jobs question please :-)

1 watcher
Feb 2018
10:08am, 15 Feb 2018
28,295 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi lovely Fetchies
Asking for my brother in law - he's working outside UK at the moment but looking to come back to UK and is looking for a job in Sports Science research or policy, so presumably University or Government body (can you tell I don't really know what I'm talking about here?!)

Any top tips for where to look? What are the good websites? Are there any agencies that everyone goes through? Or publications - old skool paper or magazine that everyone uses?

He's a PdD in Sports Science of some sort and currently works in the United Arab Emirates advising government on community sport engagement, but has lectured in Sport Science, been clinical director for special Olympics etc.

Minor issue is that he will need a visa to work in UK. Is it like in the USA where the employer needs to "sponsor" the applicant to get the visa?

Anyway, any information gratefully received. Thanks Fetchies! :-) G
Feb 2018
10:18am, 15 Feb 2018
3,301 posts
  •  
Curly45
This is a decent option:
uksport.gov.uk

it carries jobs from local right through to national level. Obviously not all policy stuff, but worth a look.
Feb 2018
10:58am, 15 Feb 2018
28,298 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I was hoping you, Fleecy and the other academics might be to help Curly. Many thanks! I'll start there... :-) G
Feb 2018
12:42pm, 15 Feb 2018
3,304 posts
  •  
Curly45
(sadly not an academic in sport ;), if anyone has a job going in digital cultures/digital media studies from September then do let me know!)
Feb 2018
1:34pm, 15 Feb 2018
2,823 posts
  •  
FreshStart
It would be worth him setting up job alerts here jobs.ac.uk and also creating a profile on Research Gate researchgate.net
Feb 2018
4:37pm, 16 Feb 2018
28,312 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks FreshStart. Those look good too.

Does anyone know if UK unis are generally supportive of bring people from outside UK? Or is it just a complete pain and they avoid it unless there is no other way? Has it got more difficult because of uncertainty over Brexit etc? Any insight on visas etc. would be great. Thanks. :-) G
Feb 2018
12:33pm, 19 Feb 2018
28,318 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Any info on recruiting folk from outside the UK? I know there is an official government visa thing, but are academic institutions generally more open to the idea or less than in civvy street, do you think? Thanks, :-) G
Feb 2018
12:54pm, 19 Feb 2018
2,824 posts
  •  
FreshStart
In my experience (my PhD supervisor was a university VC so the topic came up from time to time) academic institutions are usually more open to the idea.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hi lovely Fetchies
Asking for my brother in law - he's working outside UK at the moment but lo...