Sports Personality of the Year 2015

9 watchers
Dec 2015
3:35pm, 1 Dec 2015
314 posts
  •  
DaveG
Given the list I wouldn't be surprised to see Hamilton win, even if there are more valid options. Murray seems another option, even if not his most stellar year.

Ennis and Farah would probably have a better chance if the other wasn't there as they'll be taking the same votes off each other.

Armstrong and Froome could well split the cycling vote.

And, Ennis and Armstrong could well split the feminist vote (with Bronze also taking some of those votes).

Hamilton doesn't really have a rival to split his votes so might do well in a year when the vote is likely to be very fragmented. Normally there are only a few possibilities for the top 3, but I'd see 6 people who could reasonably do it, so wouldn't be looking past a F1 world champion given how often a British champion wins the award.
Dec 2015
3:59pm, 1 Dec 2015
7,419 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
It's a point about Jess Ennis & Mo Farah - it seems incredible that Mo has only ever come 3rd and 4th.
Dec 2015
5:58pm, 1 Dec 2015
33,845 posts
  •  
LorraineS
I wonder what happened to the Paralympic sportspeople this year - folk like Hannah Cockroft who also retained world titles ?
Dec 2015
7:09pm, 1 Dec 2015
1,137 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Not sure about the individual award as yet, although Andy Murray must fancy his chances as his success was only recent. Can't even think about the Helen Rollison award or overseas personality either.

I think the team award will go to the Davis Cup team with Mark Sampson winning coach of the year.
Dec 2015
7:43pm, 1 Dec 2015
16,500 posts
  •  
Meglet
DaveG, that's a rather unfortunate typo, I'm sure you mean Armistead, not Armstrong :-o

I would expect Tyson Fury to do well, the year Joe Calzaghe won I though 'huh???', as I had no real idea how well supported boxing was. Same with A P McCoy, doesn't seem the popular choice, but then maybe as an athletics/cycling/tennis fan I don't get the wider picture.
Dec 2015
8:08pm, 1 Dec 2015
2,266 posts
  •  
TnoP
If Hamilton wins, I will never watch it again. Firstly, F1 only has 1 decent car so winning the Championship is like giving the team award to a boat race crew! Second, 'personality'? I don't think so?
Dec 2015
8:44pm, 1 Dec 2015
702 posts
  •  
westmoors
My vote will go for Max Whitlock. Although I doubt he will win as not many people will know who he is or what he has achieved.
Dec 2015
9:53pm, 1 Dec 2015
7,399 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Only 3 women out of 12 nominees.

No disability sport nominees

Marginally disappointing.

Froome, Ennis, Sinfield would all be worthy of it.
Dec 2015
10:20pm, 1 Dec 2015
5,426 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Cyclists / female footballers / rugby league players are all in fringe sports. Being on the list is usually an exercise in BBC politically correct box ticking

Fully expect Hamilton to win as F1 is bigger than tennis (Murray - Scottish vote) or athletics (Ennis - good comeback story). Mo hasn't got an interesting twist this year - he won as usual that's all.
Dec 2015
10:22pm, 1 Dec 2015
5,427 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Tyson Fury has arguably had the toughest achievement of the lot though he's hated by the media - can't deny he's a personality though. Reminds me of Stone Cold Steve Austin, reckon Vegas will lap him up!

About This Thread

Maintained by Autumnleaves
Good list of finalists this year?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/34845334?ns_mchanne...