Sports Nutrition (and Nutrition in general I guess)

23 watchers
Sep 2021
1:58pm, 24 Sep 2021
6,886 posts
  •  
The_Saint
In Katch, Katch and MacArdle's book I referred to previously they do the experiment comparing carb-loading cyclists with non-loading, the results are entirely predictable.
Once we get into personal anecdotes and "x does this and they win lots", I am out.
I am supremely uninterested in pre-enlightenment thinking of "my experience beats any number of facts".
Sep 2021
4:02pm, 24 Sep 2021
7,975 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Mmmm, is that a dig at my previous post? If so, you'd better leave now before a) you feel the need to have another dig and b) I really have one at you.
Sep 2021
4:11pm, 24 Sep 2021
28,144 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Interesting one - I have seen plenty saying fat adapted athletes do well.

I know Craig Twigg won the Outlaw iron distance tri on a low carb diet (I see him for PT so know this is fact) and completing 140.6m on low carb in 8 odd hours is no mean feat.

Prof. Noakes literally ripped the pages out of his Lore of Running book that said runners need carbs, and a lot of people now manage diabetes and epilepsy on a low carb even keto diet.

The evidence is mixed you can argue both ways but ultimately it is an individual thing. As we know all bodies are unique and there is not a one size fits all
Sep 2021
4:11pm, 24 Sep 2021
28,145 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
so play nicely :-P
Sep 2021
4:25pm, 24 Sep 2021
7,976 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I agree with this thinking EP and have seen plenty of studies that support the low carb and fat burn theories. Personally, it does not work for me, I've tried and failed to become fat - adapted, I know I need carbs. I know plenty of very able endurance athletes who, while working at an aerobic pace, have ran ridiculous distances on "normal" food. In fact, one of those has just finished the Tor des Geants in a very respectable time.

Play nicely? Of course 🙂
Sep 2021
4:27pm, 24 Sep 2021
8,276 posts
  •  
sallykate
"my experience beats any number of facts".

...otherwise known as anecdata...

I suspect people's experiences will vary according to all sorts of factors, but it's useful to have some idea of the principles behind the approaches, even if they don't suit everyone.
Sep 2021
4:29pm, 24 Sep 2021
39,000 posts
  •  
Nellers
play.acast.com

Hopefully that link takes you to a recent episode of the Science of Sport podcast, which was a discussion of recent thinking on nutrition. It’s not just about endurance sport and I thought it was excellent.
Sep 2021
4:49pm, 24 Sep 2021
54,226 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
The balance of evidence is such that I would advise athletes getting to grips with sports nutrition to get to grips first with good day to day eating habits incorporating nice food that they enjoy and that fits reasonably well with their household routine plus adding in extra carbohydrate around long or hard training sessions first before starting to fret over the small print. No point getting your knickers in a twist about optimisation if you haven't got the basics in place.
Sep 2021
4:50pm, 24 Sep 2021
18,460 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Noakes (Lore of Running) vs Tucker (Science of Sport) - oooo that's a feisty and long running feud.

I tend towards Tucker's stance (Noakes was his ex-boss?!), but on cyclists the most famous fat-adapted cyclist is Romain Bardet (a bit of a poster boy for the low carb crowd), but he's still winning stages.
Sep 2021
5:10pm, 24 Sep 2021
286 posts
  •  
Bowman
Interesting one - I have seen plenty saying fat adapted athletes do well. I know Craig Twigg won the Outlaw iron distance tri on a low carb diet (I see him for PT so know this is fact) and completing 140.6m on low carb in 8 odd hours is no mean feat. Prof. Noakes literally ripped the pages out of his Lore of Running book that said runners need carbs, and a lot of people now manage diabetes and epilepsy on a low carb even keto diet. The evidence is mixed you can argue both ways but ultimately it is an individual thing. As we know all bodies are unique and there is not a one size fits all

Yes it’s probably different for different people of course. But I believe it’s mostly “mentally” what suits you.
Maybe you don’t want to miss out on pizza and bread and what not. You are not interested in changing how you eat. Or that interested in nutrition and so on.
And that’s totally fine of course.
But physically probably it will work pretty much the same for everyone who try’s and do the same.
It’s not that much that differs in us in a molecular level.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
If you wanted to learn all about sports nutrition (cos you screwed up in the past) where would you g...