Sports Massage before / after a marathon

2 watchers
Apr 2012
1:10pm, 4 Apr 2012
312 posts
  •  
not built for speed
Hello,

I am doing Brighton and London Marathons and just wanted to get some advice about sports massage. I was going to have one before Brighton, and then one in between Brighton and London.

How far in advance of Brighton should the massage be? I don't want to run the risk of it annoying any little niggles! I've had massages before and they've been great, but I've never had one in the week before a marathon before. However, someone I was speaking to says he always does, and that it really helps loosen up the muscles after training.

And for the one in between - is it a good idea, or is it likely that my legs will be too sore for it to be beneficial?

Any advice appreciated! :-)
Apr 2012
7:01pm, 4 Apr 2012
2,835 posts
  •  
adrianb1066
boing
Apr 2012
7:07pm, 4 Apr 2012
12,336 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Two days before, two days after is what I would do. If you see what I mean.
Apr 2012
7:07pm, 4 Apr 2012
7,491 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
nbfs - I often have a massage 2 days before a big race to iron out any specific niggles (I have tight calves, ITB and piriformis). I find it definately helps. I only have a massage afterwards if I have picked up an injury or aggrevated an old one.

There is no science behind this, it's just how I feel :)
Apr 2012
7:46pm, 4 Apr 2012
9,751 posts
  •  
Naomi P
Deffo useful if you can, I find my legs are looser and stride longer after a massage. A good physiology / sports masseur will be able to gauge the right level of pressure for how sore your legs are. Worth having your back done too, esp the lower back that gets hammered in a marathon.
Apr 2012
10:34pm, 4 Apr 2012
2,999 posts
  •  
SharonD
As Johnny O says-2 days before & 2 days after & as Naomi says lower back and I would add glutes in too. Goes without saying that you go to someone you've been to before, who you trust & tell em what you're doing;-) good luck.
Apr 2012
11:29pm, 4 Apr 2012
6,999 posts
  •  
Stander
I was thinking about sorting out a massage again before VLM as I find they help me, but I've come down with siraisis (spelt wrong?) which has mainly affected the backs of my legs.

Should I skip the massage? It's not infectious or anything, just doesn't look overly nice.
Apr 2012
8:02am, 5 Apr 2012
3,000 posts
  •  
SharonD
Stander, if it's just flaky and not painful then bring a cream you know you're not allergic to.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by not built for speed
Hello,

I am doing Brighton and London Marathons and just wanted to get some advice about sports m...