Sports Hernia - please share any experiences

4 watchers
May 2016
12:31pm, 7 May 2016
4,197 posts
  •  
marshallini
I just want to add that there is a difference between a "Sports" hernia and an "Inguinal" hernia as I think some people on here are mistaking the two.

The typical Inguinal hernia is a protrusion of abdominal-cavity contents through the inguinal canal.

A Sports Hernia (Gilmore's Groin, Athletic Pubalgia) isn't actually a hernia at all and is when abdominal muscles or tendons tear from the pelvis.

The surgery to repair either is similar though.
May 2016
12:56pm, 7 May 2016
6,518 posts
  •  
lammo
Oh thanks marshallini, i had an inguinal hernia then, but you now all know that.
May 2016
12:58pm, 7 May 2016
4,198 posts
  •  
marshallini
No probs lammo, just thought I'd try to clarify and avoid any confusion :) :)
May 2016
6:14pm, 7 May 2016
51 posts
  •  
Claypole
Thanks for info Lammo and Marshallini, got appointment with groin clinic next week so I guess will hopefully will know a bit more then as to what I have..
May 2016
10:50am, 18 May 2016
55 posts
  •  
Claypole
Just seen me surgeon chappy who's diagnosed me as having Gilmores groin, on both sides (double doh)
Its rehab time for me now as the wait is about 4 months for the op under the NHS

Think I also need to figure out what I did whilst running to give me this so that I can try and avoid future relapse.
May 2016
2:14pm, 18 May 2016
4,215 posts
  •  
marshallini
Unlucky Claypole, at least you now know what it is and can take the necessary action to get it sorted. I hope everything goes well and you have a swift and full recovery.

I was running quite well and decided to add more off road hilly hard runs and that's when I first felt the niggle. I just thought it was my core muscles working harder with the extra twisting and turning you get off road and it would settle down after a few runs but it never did, it just got worse. This could just be a coincidence but is the only thing I can think of that caused mine. I have, since returning, done the same hard off road runs with no issues, so who knows?

I was lucky that with rest and rehab mine healed without recourse to surgery.

All the best :)
May 2016
2:27pm, 18 May 2016
58 posts
  •  
Claypole
Thanks Marshallini - yes quite right, gives me a plan for the way forward
Cheers for your insights into your own running - much appreciated.

All the best
:-)
May 2016
4:31pm, 18 May 2016
231 posts
  •  
Ulric
Had Gilmore's groin in 2010 and surgery for it, rehab relatively straightforward although I can still get pain or mini relapses, particularly if I do hill reps. I was doing 800s on the track when mine went so since then I've opted for saftey first and don't do track work anymore just in case.
May 2016
5:20pm, 18 May 2016
59 posts
  •  
Claypole
Cheers for posting Ulric, good to know.
Thanks
Jun 2016
2:21pm, 21 Jun 2016
64 posts
  •  
Claypole
Thanks to all who shared their experiences with Gilmores Groin.

Well, for me so far, I am having a crack at seeing if I can rehab my way to avoiding surgery.

Seems any OCD tendencies I have towards running are helping with keeping the rehab exercises going regularly...lol...

Am back running at much reduced volume as no pain on running now, just feel a bit sore after, hopefully not a false start but i guess time will tell.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi all

Been Diagnosed with a sports hernia by my physio.
He's given me some exercises to get on...