Sports clothes for large women

1 watcher
Nov 2013
10:37pm, 21 Nov 2013
7,390 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
I'm looking for ladies sports clothing in size 20/22 or bigger, in particular tech t-shirts. It'll have to be cheap - max £10 for a top. Any advice on good online stores?

I ususally go for Startfitness's own brand (More Mile) for myself, but they only seem to go up to a size 16. The sites I've found through googling either don't seem to have actual sports gear for sweating in, but rather fashion-type sports clothes, or are way more expensive than I can afford.

Alternatively, there do seem to be reasonably-priced men's t-shirts on Startfitness, and I reckon it wouldn't matter too much if they weren't of a 'female-specific' cut for now (unless there's something obvious about men's clothes I'm missing - not that I'd know much about them...). I have no clue whatsoever how to convert women's sizes into men's sizes though. Startfitness's own sizing table suggests that size 20 equals a women's XXXL. Surely this must be equivalent to a men's size containing less Xs - but which one??
Nov 2013
10:45pm, 21 Nov 2013
1,090 posts
  •  
Squares
I found debenhams own brand good for tech tops when I was a 20/22 not too bad value in the sales sorry can't remember the name...
Nov 2013
10:45pm, 21 Nov 2013
1,091 posts
  •  
Squares
I found debenhams own brand good for tech tops when I was a 20/22 not too bad value in the sales sorry can't remember the name...
Nov 2013
10:56pm, 21 Nov 2013
7,391 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Thank you, Squares! Are they actual tech tops then? (I've looked at either Asda or Primark ones, can't remember, and found they looked like tech clothes, but the fabric didn't really feel like it.)
Nov 2013
11:07pm, 21 Nov 2013
7,393 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Not really comparing Asda/Primark to Debenhams, sorry if it sounded like that - what I meant they had in common was that neitehr of them are dedicated sports shops.
Nov 2013
11:09pm, 21 Nov 2013
15,022 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Men's clothing is basically sized according to chest circumference. I'm a M in More Mile, with a 38 inch chest. This would put me in a size 14 (14 top 16 bottom) which would seem about right - I'm a little smaller than my size-16 missus.

According to M&S size 22 is 46 inch bust which would be XL mens, 20 would be a tighter L.

Of course, I'd imagine the length of the garment would come in to play as well...
Nov 2013
11:10pm, 21 Nov 2013
15,023 posts
  •  
DeeGee
There'll be ladies along who can help properly, rather than some random bloke comparing himself to his wife...
Nov 2013
11:22pm, 21 Nov 2013
7,394 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Lol, thank you, DeeGee! This is a good start - I always get confused by these tables even though I should be used to converting at least between UK and European sizes by now.

The person for whom the gear is is pretty short anyway, so even women's clothes are always too long for her. Normally, it doesn't matter much in t-shirts, but a men's top might look like a dress on her? :-o
Nov 2013
11:34pm, 21 Nov 2013
522 posts
  •  
More of a Tortoise
Sainsburys and M&S both do tech tops in at least a 20, sometimes a 22. Also Mountain Warehouse but their stock and styles can be very hit and miss. Alternatively, I find men's xl is usually ok but can be a little snug so I tend to look for xxl
Nov 2013
11:41pm, 21 Nov 2013
1,092 posts
  •  
Squares
Yes they were proper tech stuff... The bottoms less so, sports direct sell some bigger sizes too the karrimor stuff feels generous

About This Thread

Maintained by SpicedApple
I'm looking for ladies sports clothing in size 20/22 or bigger, in particular tech t-shirts. It'll...