Spikes

1 watcher
Dec 2014
7:52pm, 31 Dec 2014
29,147 posts
  •  
Nellers
So if I'm planning on running track miles next year will there be any advantage to me buying some spikes? I've never worn spikes before at all.

Will they take a lot of getting used to? I don't expect to have very much track time next year.

Are they potentially damaging to my chances if I'm not ready for them or do they just "work" on a track?

If I am going to buy some what should I look for? What should I avoid?

Cheers, Experts of Fetchland.
Dec 2014
8:03pm, 31 Dec 2014
12,032 posts
  •  
GlennR
1) Yes
2) No
3) a) No; b) Yes
4) Not much, they're very light and relatively cheap. Don't buy cross country spikes by mistake.
Dec 2014
8:10pm, 31 Dec 2014
29,148 posts
  •  
Nellers
Cheers. Spikes it is then. Done.

I declare this thread closed.

Unless (in the style of Esther Rantzen) you know different.
Dec 2014
8:12pm, 31 Dec 2014
12,033 posts
  •  
GlennR
'ang abaht...

**returns from garage**

Mine are Adidas adizero. I paid £65. They in no way contributed to the rupture of my patella tendon.
Dec 2014
8:23pm, 31 Dec 2014
29,149 posts
  •  
Nellers
£65! I was expecting £40 tops.

Does the lack of cushioning have any injury impact for a middle aged bloke used to cushioned road shoes?
Dec 2014
8:25pm, 31 Dec 2014
12,037 posts
  •  
GlennR
No, the track itself is so forgiving - for me it was the easiest surface to run on during recovery.

You can get them for *less* than £40 if you skank about on the internet. I went to a proper shop.
Dec 2014
8:56pm, 31 Dec 2014
611 posts
  •  
Reinhold Messner
I disagree on pretty much all counts. I know that's not a very Fetch thing to do... sorry. Rainbows and bunny rabbits will return in my next post :-)

If I were in your shoes (ho ho) I'd get some light road shoes (like 220g kind of light) and wear them on the track - this is what a lot of regular track runners do in training anyway and it's not like you're targeting Rio.

TBH I've seen people run BAL Premiership in road shoes and run 8:30 for 3000m, so whilst spikes are "an advantage" (a pretty 'king big one) you're better off going most of the way there with some light road shoes and protecting your legs from the evils of proper spikes.

If you absolutely must get them, don't go anywhere near Nike Zoom Victory 2s, they will actually kill you.
Dec 2014
9:21pm, 31 Dec 2014
29,150 posts
  •  
Nellers
Hang on. I'll get a coin to flip.;-)

Have to be honest and admit that I'm a bit scared of spikes but if you were to tell me they were worth a second on a track mile I'm getting them!

Light road shoes would be less scary, though, and more able to be used in other events so probably better VFM.
Dec 2014
9:30pm, 31 Dec 2014
9,656 posts
  •  
RichHElf
Spikes will make your fasterer and more attractive to women of the opposite sex. I paid about forty quid for my Saucony spikes. I haven't worn them yet because I'm fast enough and married.
Dec 2014
9:35pm, 31 Dec 2014
29,151 posts
  •  
Nellers
How much fastererer? Will I BE faster or just LOOK faster and more athletic?

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
So if I'm planning on running track miles next year will there be any advantage to me buying some s...