speedwork before breakfast?

2 watchers
May 2016
8:26am, 16 May 2016
11,906 posts
  •  
RuthB2
I know it depends on the individual and all that, but those of you who run with the earlycrew - do you ever try speedwork pre-breakfast? I've always just done gentle runs at that time, but interested to hear of any other approaches, as it would help fit them into the week.
May 2016
9:11am, 16 May 2016
8,573 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I have done a couple of times but I do find them much harder to achieve so generally I feel for me, they don't really work.
May 2016
9:18am, 16 May 2016
12,871 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
Body takes a bit longer to warm up, so if you are doing speedwork in the morning take a look at that.

Bike sessions I do have a similar impact, so if I am doing hard intervals pre breakfast I'll do a 25 minute warm up routine, if done later I can go well off a 7-10 minute warm up.

Have a little something to eat (2 slices of toast), a very long gradual warm up and it should be better.
May 2016
10:37am, 16 May 2016
227 posts
  •  
Oranj
I have tried it a few times, my heart rate went +10bpm higher compared to an evening session for the same RPE.
May 2016
12:04pm, 16 May 2016
1,515 posts
  •  
Fitz
I used to do most of my running before breakfast. Speed / interval sessions were definitely the hardest. Doable but hard.
May 2016
2:46pm, 16 May 2016
9,813 posts
  •  
richmac
It's doable for sure, but if you talk to 'pro' (tri)athletes they will tell you they fuel for the session ahead. But they have elaborate nutrition plans.

Personally I run pre breakfast when I'm trying to shift fat. Speed work I do in the evenings having eaten an hour or so before.

I get the problem, having to get up even earlier to eat before an early speed set is a bummer. No reason not to do it before breakfast but you won't be firing on all cylinders and make sure you take some protein on board the millisecond you finish.
May 2016
3:31pm, 16 May 2016
11,907 posts
  •  
RuthB2
hmm. Thanks everyone. It's tricky - if I get a 45 min session in, I need to start that at 5.45 at the latest, so like you say the thought of losing another half hour's sleep just to eat toast...
May 2016
7:43pm, 26 May 2016
7,273 posts
  •  
Ness
I tend to do "speed work" before work (and so before breakfast) on my treadmill. I am an early bird though. I get up between half 4 and 5 for my training runs. Do this 4 out of 5 mornings a week.
May 2016
8:21pm, 29 May 2016
9,885 posts
  •  
richmac
One revisited my thoughts on this. Could you get through it worth Carbo drinks?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RuthB2
I know it depends on the individual and all that, but those of you who run with the earlycrew - do y...