Speed wobbles ?

0 watcher
Apr 2011
11:44pm, 23 Apr 2011
14,724 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry to hear this again, sab. hope you're ok. did your 56 have to get cut short? Hope you can get all sorted. :-)G
Apr 2011
11:47pm, 23 Apr 2011
14,725 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ironic really, it's designed for... " comfort rather than all-out low weight is key, so is smooth handling and the sort of planted descending on rails stability that inspires the sort of confidence you need to enjoy fast descents on British roads." Could it be a setup fault?
Apr 2011
12:09am, 24 Apr 2011
353 posts
  •  
loki
do bike wheels need to be balanced like car ones do? does it only happen on downhills? if you get to the same speed on the flat does it happen? if so could it be something to do with extra weight over the front wheel? can you shift your weight back a bit on the downhills?

I should point out that I know nothing about this topic, but thought I'd see if I can be helpful.
Apr 2011
8:12am, 24 Apr 2011
19 posts
  •  
Andy_B
In addition to Loki's questions, has it only happened when cornering? (no idea of the significance)

I'm by no means an expert but have never heard of balancing a bicycle wheel but might it be significant - an imbalanced car wheel only starts to shudder at certain speeds. Maybe your wobble is only manifesting itself on the downhill as it could be that this is the only time you get up to a high enough speed????

Just offering mu tuppence worth to try to help/offer suggestions.
Apr 2011
5:42pm, 24 Apr 2011
59 posts
  •  
Still a bit
So apparently headset was loose and they want to check out a washer in the stem. Will keep you up to dte on what the mechanics say :)
Apr 2011
8:17pm, 24 Apr 2011
6,871 posts
  •  
Rach E
Just wanted to say I had a speed wobble today going down a steep decent. I only got to 45mph and my bike started to wobble uncontrollably. I remembered what I'd read on here yesterday and clasped the bar with my legs and it stopped it :¬)

So thank you!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Like scribbler I have also had my first bike crash today.

I was on the third time round local hi...