Southwold 10k

1 watcher
Jul 2015
3:06pm, 23 Jul 2015
80 posts
  •  
jonbev
The Southwold 10k went on sale yesterday and sold out in 49 minutes (800 runners).

I managed to get a place for myself and my wife, which is great.

We have done the race quite a few times and enjoy it but I can't work out why it is so popular.

Pros -

Great atmosphere.

Cons -
2.5 lap course
Stoney, uneven ground along the harbour
Not flat (undulating)
Weather not the best at this time of year
£19 is quite expensive for a 10k
The start is congested and just before a 90deg bend

What does anyone else think? What pros am I missing?
Jul 2015
3:50pm, 23 Jul 2015
7,305 posts
  •  
Carpathius
This was my first ever race back in 2011. I haven't got in since, and am not really fussed any more. I don't get it at all!
Jul 2015
4:12pm, 23 Jul 2015
4,471 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I knew it would sell out quickly but I was amazed at quite how quick. I hadn't realised the cons were quite so many as I have never managed to get in. I think one of the reasons it sells out so fast is the way Adnams market it. I've had at least three emails telling me to be prepared for the race to open, make sure I enter quickly as it will sell out, etc etc.... and I've never run it.

I do wonder though if there is any pre- entry available - perhaps for people who live in or near Southwold or work for Adnams or something so that when it opens to the general public it is already half sold out?

I'm disappointed as I really hoped to get a place this year but since you posted the cons I'm less disappointed
Jul 2015
4:19pm, 23 Jul 2015
11,413 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Goodness I had no idea it would be so popular! Having spent a weekend in Southwold earlier this year, I thought it might make a nice focus for a return visit. I'd assumed, having done the Great Local Run there when we visited, that running didn't play a big part in local life!
Jul 2015
5:42pm, 23 Jul 2015
944 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I'm on holiday in Southwold the week after next and really look forward to my morning runs around the town and through Walberswick. I've always gone in May, July or August and haven't really contemplated doing this one.
Jul 2015
6:28pm, 23 Jul 2015
2,804 posts
  •  
Tom Tom
Another one here who didn't get in! Amazed at how quickly it sold out, but then the nearby Woodbridge 10k always sells out within hours as well (and that one is a hilly bugger). Perhaps it's the whole thing about running a couple of laps around a picturesque town with a lot of local support (and a beer at the end!)?
Jul 2015
8:56pm, 23 Jul 2015
11,417 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Surrey Phil, have a go at the Great Run Local on Sunday mornings - top 20 finish guaranteed ;-)
Jul 2015
8:57pm, 23 Jul 2015
11,418 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Surrey Phil, have a go at the Great Run Local on Sunday mornings - top 20 finish guaranteed ;-)
Jul 2015
11:24pm, 23 Jul 2015
945 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Thanks LazyDaisy. I wasn't aware of this. The three mile loop they run is a bit dull in that it seems to be over the common and bridge and back again. The three miler I do is along the prom and past the beach huts, past the campsite and Southwold quay, before returning to the seafront via the common. However, I prefer a six miler which includes the above and also goes across the bridge and round the back of Walberswick.

My intention is to do the Heritage Coast Marathon. Maybe not 2016, but one day!
Jul 2015
11:27pm, 23 Jul 2015
7,315 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Heritage Coast mara is great! There's a blog I wrote this year, raining windy and cold with horrible sand sections but still so much fun.

About This Thread

Maintained by jonbev
The Southwold 10k went on sale yesterday and sold out in 49 minutes (800 runners).

I managed to g...