Southend on Sea parkrun

17 watchers
May 2011
10:24am, 17 May 2011
First-time poster!!
  •  
southendal
Hello all,

I'm new to Fetch Everyone, so please excuse any misdemeanours.

I've enquired about starting a parkrun in Southend on Sea and was wondering what the take up would be.

I run regularly along the seafront and see loads of people out in all sorts of weather and know that there are plenty of active running clubs in the area, some of whom are represented on these forums so thought that there maybe the numbers locally to make it worthwhile.

Also, I've heard so many good things about parkrun but am at least an hour from the nearest one, so what better way to have a local one than start one!

So:

- do you fancy getting involved?
- would you run if there was one started in the Southend area?
- would your club mates be interested?
- can you think of a good course (I'm looking at Belfairs)

Thanks for looking, please leave a reply if this is something that would interest you, and I'll keep this thread updated as to progress.

Alex
May 2011
7:18pm, 17 May 2011
17,062 posts
  •  
Nellers
Hello, Southendal, and welcome to Fetch.

I live in Rayleigh so pretty local and although I couldn't commit to be involved every week due to family commitments I would certainly try to get along every 2 or 3 weeks to either race myself, run round with my kids, or help out with the running of the event.

I would thinkt hat there will be a few more relatively local Fetchies who would get involved, too.
May 2011
8:57am, 18 May 2011
First-time poster!!
  •  
8eaker
Hi all,
Just signed up as a colleague pointed out this post (work in Surrey, live in Eastwood)
As Nellers, couldn't commit on a regular basis, but would pop along every now and again. Belfairs would be a good venue, but Cherry Orchard Country park would introduce a few gentle hills too ;-)
Good luck
May 2011
10:47am, 18 May 2011
2 posts
  •  
southendal
Nellers, 8eaker,

Thanks for the response and offers of potential support. It's good to know that there are some people locally that may be able to help out. If I can count on the two of you, plus a few others I've rustled up else where we have the beginnings of a team of 5!

Thanks for the heads up on Cherry Orchard Country Park, I've not come across it before, looks like I need to have a little recce run to check it out.

It would be helpful if you could both help to spread the word.

Thanks again.
May 2011
12:33pm, 18 May 2011
9 posts
  •  
Mrbanners
Similar to others I could possibly come along once a fortnight/every three weeks. good luck.
May 2011
2:26pm, 18 May 2011
3 posts
  •  
southendal
Thanks mrbanners!
May 2011
2:55pm, 18 May 2011
11,092 posts
  •  
Pammie
Interesting a little more local to me depending on what part of Southend it is like others couldn't commit every week work dodgy shifts but this is all exciting

Welcome to Fetch
May 2011
3:47pm, 18 May 2011
4 posts
  •  
southendal
Ohh, I'm loving you Fetchies!

I've posted this on other fora, and....tumbleweed!

Anyone else got any ideas for a good route?

Pammie - which end of Southend is good for you?
May 2011
3:50pm, 18 May 2011
11,093 posts
  •  
Pammie
Live in Thurrock - so limited to coming in by train Southendcentral line- or when i'm big and brave mmay cycle it one day (i didn't say that)
May 2011
3:52pm, 18 May 2011
5 posts
  •  
southendal
I virtually live next door to Southend Central station. Always happy to offer a lift, if you've got a puncture ;-)

About This Thread

Maintained by SouthendAl
Trying to get a parkrun set up in Southend on Sea.

Summer 2011 - Asked parkrun about setting it up

Looked at potential courses
October 2011 - Application documents submitted to Southend Council
December 2011 - Met with council
Feb 2012 - 1st application rejected by Council
April 2012 - Met with Council again
July 2012 - 2nd event application submitted

August 2012 - Funding secured and event app accepted
25/09/12 - Shhh! Secret test event. Fmail for details!
13/10/12 - First Event!

Like us on Facebook: facebook.com
Twitter: @southendparkrun

Would like some lovely volunteers to help run the thing, and some enthusiastic runners to come and take part and spread the word!