Sore calves after ill-advised POSE experiment :-/

1 watcher
Apr 2012
12:45pm, 24 Apr 2012
3,415 posts
  •  
Iron_Mum
So I went out for a gentle 8-miler last Sunday, my last decent run before Milton Keynes this Sunday. And I wore my new Nike Free Runs because I love them, and I experimented with mid/forefront landing. And it was good. I bounced along quite the thing, probably did 3-4km in total, and then thought I probably should stop because I've read you need to build up to these sorts of things gently, and also because my calves started to feel a bit tight.

And yesterday and today they've been really quite painfully tight - I've been for a couple of very gentle poddles, and not planning any more now before Sunday, I've also been and ordered one of them Grid Roller things which should arrive tomorrow and will massage like a mad thing between now and then, and stretch a few times every day.

So two questions:

1. apart from rest/rolling/stretching as above, what else can I do to my poor calves to get them marathon ready? NB Mr IM away now til Friday so no opportunity to get sports massage
2. is it normal for calves to feel sore after trying out this style of running or am I just doing it wrong?

3. (sorry) they will be ok for Sunday, won't they? :-(
Apr 2012
12:57pm, 24 Apr 2012
72 posts
  •  
Krissie
I had the same after running in Vibram Five Fingers for the first time, calves were totally wrecked afterwards! I found that they were worse during the day though and once I had warmed up not too bad when running. Warm baths rather than Icing I've found tends to help if it's more of a general muscle thing, and maybe ibuprofen gel?
Apr 2012
1:01pm, 24 Apr 2012
723 posts
  •  
Ian M
IM, there is a high chance that you are doing it wrong - especially if you haven't actually been shown how to do it.

It is often very difficult to get across to people that if you actually try to land on your forefoot then you will quite possibly still be landing ahead with a forced forefoot land which leads to over stressing the foot and lower leg muscles - calves in particular.

Yes you do need to take any changes carefully and give your body time to adjust but more than anything else I believe it is important to make absolutely sure that you are doing it right.

Another problem is that very often what we think we are doing and what we are actually doing are completely different.

Landing forefoot is a result of getting posture and timing right. If you get those two things correct then you will land correctly and not have to think about it to o much at all.

Sorry to sound negative but I see so many people hurting themselves when they try to change...

Take care and if you haven't done so already I urge you to go and see a coach to make sure you are doing everything correctly before you carry on training any volume.
Apr 2012
1:01pm, 24 Apr 2012
13,885 posts
  •  
Stumpy
hi IM, i'd go and post this on either the POSE thread or the efficient running thread if you want a technique answer.

re healing time.... stretching, self massage and rest.... that's about it really :-( (and probably massage right down into achilles if you can)

but in answer to your 'normal' qu - it's a techinique thing and possibly a 'too much too soon' thing. however i am not the right person to make any recommendations about that. hence the threads where the instructors hang out.

hope it feels better soon xx
Apr 2012
1:02pm, 24 Apr 2012
591 posts
  •  
NellyMarcos
Dont do any more experiments till you have no racing commitments then take it really really slow. Like a mile to start with. You really have to build up gradually. For the time being yes, stretch, warm the muscles last thing at night, maybe some gentle self massage and ibuprofen gel like krissie said, good luck!
Apr 2012
13,886 posts
  •  
Stumpy
X post :-)
Apr 2012
724 posts
  •  
Ian M
If you are changing from heel landing to forefoot then your calves will feel it a bit but they shouldn't ever be that tight that you don't feel like you can run without pain.
Apr 2012
1:06pm, 24 Apr 2012
592 posts
  •  
NellyMarcos
Ps Listen to Ian M, he knows what hes talking about! ;)
Apr 2012
1:06pm, 24 Apr 2012
3,416 posts
  •  
Iron_Mum
Thanks so much guys - yes, I think I need to stump up some cash and get some expert input, I did enjoy the 'feel' of running that way but I'm sure I wasn't doing it quite right. (Probably better just to have a session with someone than try to get input on here, tbh: I 'know' in my head what I need to do, it's the actual doing it, and as Ian wisely says checking that I'm actually doing what I think I'm doing!)

You're right that they do seem easier when running, Krissie, which is good news for MK mara at least (though I may not be able to walk next day - who cares :-))
Apr 2012
1:08pm, 24 Apr 2012
725 posts
  •  
Ian M
IM, a short video is all you need to understand what you are doing and what you need to do to put it right. You will probably be quite surprised, most folk are!

Take care, best of luck IM.

About This Thread

Maintained by Iron_Mum
So I went out for a gentle 8-miler last Sunday, my last decent run before Milton Keynes this Sunday....