Some forum advice please

2 watchers
Jan 2013
5:59pm, 3 Jan 2013
442 posts
  •  
Avon
Hello there,

As I'm currently enjoying the last few days of my annual leave, my thoughts turn to 2013 and next years races and challenges.

After plodding out 3,000 miles last year it's time to smarten up the training routine.

I do have a pile of running books which I have yet to read (that "Lore of Running" is massive) so I thought I would throw it open to the Fetch community to have a nose at my previous training, races and times (maybe judge me, maybe not) and hopefully offer some sage advice on what I should be doing.

In terms of goals. Lets say I want to improve across the board from a 5k Parkrun to a 100 mile Ultramarathon, so a balanced training programme is required.

In terms of time and constraints, I have a free lunch hour most days (subject to work commitments) and I can run home most days a distance of 4 miles. I don't usually get a chance to run in the evenings (family considerations) but I can run Saturday and Sunday mornings (plenty of time on Sunday).

Event wise, I have a couple of half marathons Feb & Mar, Thames Trot 50 in Feb, Thames Path 100 in March, probably Compton 40 in April, GUCR in May, Thanes Ring in July. Later in the year I will hopefully do Spartathlon and would also like to do a few marathons and get a 3.15 time.

Last year, a typical week looked like a steady 4-5 mile run 3-4 times a week. An easy run home of 4 miles (with a pack) 3-4 times a week, a steady 8-10 miler on Saturday and a 10-20 miler on a Sunday with little to no rest days.

I realise I do a lot of mileage compared to some and don't want this post to seem like a bit of "willy waving". I'm genuinely think I plod far too much and would like to improve.

So consider this a grand experiment and you are all my coaches. What advice would you offer?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

PS - Please don't tell Nx about this thread.
Jan 2013
6:06pm, 3 Jan 2013
18,885 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Avon, hi. Huge mileage. I guess the main thing would be some "quality" to add to your "quantity"? Have you looked at Pfitzinger and Douglas (P&D) plans? There are specific threads for it. And some pre built plans in the Fetch training database.

But basically it adds a tempo, intervals or other speed session 1 x per week, plus puts some MP recommended pace into your long runs.

Best of luck, I'm sure more "quality" advice will come along! :-)G
Jan 2013
6:23pm, 3 Jan 2013
49,783 posts
  •  
Gobi
Avon - your biggest issue may well be a lack of focus. All your focus should be on that engine for spartathlon, after a recovery you should then be able to use that base to improve your 5km and marathon

Consider which event matters most and train for it, with a few tweaks here and there the other events will take care of themselves.

My 5km improved while doing 100km training as I became aerobically fitter.

ps. that is not that much mileage really especially with spartathlon as a goal :¬)
Jan 2013
7:59am, 4 Jan 2013
443 posts
  •  
Avon
Thanks for the responses guys.

I've got the P&D book but not had a chance to read it yet but I did skim read the Goater book on running faster which basically suggested getting out their and making an effort and having four different sessions per week (intervals, hills, long and recovery) in your plan and work on making these a but more difficult or vary them as you progress.

As a simple starting point to jump into the year, I'm going to * try * and incorporate this into my weekly running and have 1 or 2 rest days per week after a hard or long session.

HappyG - I never knew there were pre-built training plans on Fetch. I will have a hunt around for them.

Gobi - May be joining Stouty at the Newbury Park run soon.
Nx
Jan 2013
8:12am, 4 Jan 2013
4,471 posts
  •  
Nx
REALLY!!!
Jan 2013
8:15am, 4 Jan 2013
46,167 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I know sweet FA but fwiw, I agree with gobi on this one about the focus being lacking
Im on the same boat, but not sure about what I am going to do yet
Jan 2013
1:35pm, 4 Jan 2013
49,793 posts
  •  
Gobi
Make sure you say hello Avon.
Jan 2013
2:48pm, 5 Jan 2013
444 posts
  •  
Avon
Nx - Busted! But if you have any tips, I'll listen.

Everyone else, thanks for comments. You're right Gobi, if I get a slot for Sparta that should be the goal for the year. The aim is to mix up the running a bit to improve from my current position.

You don't get any better by doing the same thing!

Pleased to say did my first hill session of the year. Quads and buttocks were sore for 2 days...

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Hello there,

As I'm currently enjoying the last few days of my annual leave, my thoughts turn to...