Sodium Valproate tablets

1 watcher
Sep 2013
3:26pm, 6 Sep 2013
276 posts
  •  
Running Duck
I have been prescribed these as a migraine preventer by the consultant. Like all medicine these days, if you read the side effects there seems to be a danger of death.

Has anybody used these or got any information about them? I know that weight gain can be caused and am slightly apprehensive about this as I have an underactive thyroid which means that my weight is already too great.
Sep 2013
4:34pm, 6 Sep 2013
18,906 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I would have a chat with your doctor - particularly if you plan on getting preggers :-o

*disclaimer: I am not a doctor but I know how to Google wikipedia*
Sep 2013
4:42pm, 6 Sep 2013
49,462 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Its pretty ok stuff RD-but the weight gain thing can be an issue

They will need to monitor your liver tests periodically
Can be a litle sedative too, but most of my pts are okay on it

(we use it for epilepsy and bipolar if they cant have lithium, or sometimes for myoclonic jerks)
What dose will you be on
Sep 2013
7:48pm, 6 Sep 2013
280 posts
  •  
Running Duck
JB - thank you. The consultant did discuss this but it's really not a problem as the children thing is not for me!

PH - it's quite low in comparative terms to those who use it for epilepsy. 300mg for 7 days, then 600mg for 7 days and finally 1,000mg.

I am trying not to get worried about the weight gain, but it is so hard for me to lose weight, it is a bit of a worry.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Running Duck
I have been prescribed these as a migraine preventer by the consultant. Like all medicine these day...