Sodium Valproate tablets
3:26pm, 6 Sep 2013
Running DuckI have been prescribed these as a migraine preventer by the consultant. Like all medicine these days, if you read the side effects there seems to be a danger of death.
Has anybody used these or got any information about them? I know that weight gain can be caused and am slightly apprehensive about this as I have an underactive thyroid which means that my weight is already too great.
4:34pm, 6 Sep 2013
Johnny BlazeI would have a chat with your doctor - particularly if you plan on getting preggers
*disclaimer: I am not a doctor but I know how to Google wikipedia*
4:42pm, 6 Sep 2013
plodding hippoIts pretty ok stuff RD-but the weight gain thing can be an issue
They will need to monitor your liver tests periodically
Can be a litle sedative too, but most of my pts are okay on it
(we use it for epilepsy and bipolar if they cant have lithium, or sometimes for myoclonic jerks)
What dose will you be on
7:48pm, 6 Sep 2013
Running DuckJB - thank you. The consultant did discuss this but it's really not a problem as the children thing is not for me!
PH - it's quite low in comparative terms to those who use it for epilepsy. 300mg for 7 days, then 600mg for 7 days and finally 1,000mg.
I am trying not to get worried about the weight gain, but it is so hard for me to lose weight, it is a bit of a worry.
About This Thread
- Migraines after running - partner is really struggling. Feb 2022
- Advice needed with feeling faint and getting a migraine straight after running Sep 2013
- Visual migraines getting more frequent May 2012
- Help! Suggestions of how to earn money while undergoing cancer treatment! Nov 2023
- Sports anaemia Nov 2023
- A D H D Oct 2023
- Low serum ferritin/ anaemia Sep 2023
- Running Through Cancer Aug 2023
- Wheezing when exhaling and running Apr 2023
- Starting training again after Covid-19 Feb 2023
Buy a Fetch buff
Order now for immediate dispatch!
Join us in 2024 for a part-virtual, part-gathering endurance event to celebrate 20 years of Fetcheveryone!
See all your training overlaid on one interactive map. A great way to remember everywhere you've been
Race Listings League
Which Fetchies have done the most to make our race listings as awesome as they are?